Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

ugh... Do we need a mattress "encasement"? We have a topper and mattress pad, I just never even considered an encasement...

Does anyone have any advice on this?

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    ugh... Do we need a mattress "encasement"? We have a topper and mattress pad, I just never even considered an encasement...

Does anyone have any advice on this?
    I was wondering the same thing. Looks like they are $18-25, which seems like a low price for peace of mind regarding bedbugs.

We did not do a topper - DS swears he doesn't need it. I have a feeling we will be shipping one via Amazon before the semester is out.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Why do you need a pad if you have a 3” topper?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    We have a mattress pad over DS’s topper to keep the topper on the mattress. Though an unpadded mattress protector would also work to do same thing

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by briarrose View Post
    Don’t have any experience with it yet since we bought it for the fall, but this is the one we purchased. https://www.target.com/p/pillow-top-...e/-/A-80784773

Best of luck. There’s so much to think of for the dorm room. I’m in the process of making a list for my son’s first aid kit
    We got the 3” Lucid topper and the “not pillow top” version of this mattress pad from Amazon. I just washed it a few days ago - it’s soft, has decent fabric on the sides, and isn’t totally flat - think maybe “slightly puffy”. It’s still “not small” so if space is an issue might want to do the not pillow top. Just my two cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Why do you need a pad if you have a 3” topper?

I think to keep the topper in place and to have a barrier between the sheets and the foam pad.

We got a regular mattress pad, not a waterproof one as the noise would have bothered DD. I think we got it at BBB for about 20.00 We didn't encase the dorm mattress, it was vinyl and was disinfected when we arrived.

I think to keep the topper in place and to have a barrier between the sheets and the foam pad.

We got a regular mattress pad, not a waterproof one as the noise would have bothered DD. I think we got it at BBB for about 20.00 We didn't encase the dorm mattress, it was vinyl and was disinfected when we arrived.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Please recommend a tried and true twin XL size mattress pad for dorm

I understand why and we have one but I got confused thinking it needed to be something special as opposed to the quick $10 thing we grabbed off the shelf at Target it was a mattress protector as opposed to a pad. The 3” topper is the pad.
    No encasement

Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 07-01-2022 at 06:51 AM.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post

Yes, this is exactly why. The parent forums for DD’s college seemed to talk a lot about the 3” mattress topper being essential for comfort. They said the dorm mattresses are very thin and hard and plasticky. They also recommended the mattress encasement because of dorm bed bug issues. And they said to get a mattress pad to go over all those layers under the fitted sheet to “contain” everything so that there isn’t sliding around of the different components. Basically, the mattress pad keeps everything fitted together, supposedly. We will be traveling across the country via plane for college move in, and we will be limited by luggage limitations. It will be so chaotic.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thank you all for the recommendations!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    We got the 3” Lucid topper and the “not pillow top” version of this mattress pad from Amazon. I just washed it a few days ago - it’s soft, has decent fabric on the sides, and isn’t totally flat - think maybe “slightly puffy”. It’s still “not small” so if space is an issue might want to do the not pillow top. Just my two cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, we got the pillow top because I bought a 1.5 inch topper. If I had gotten a 3 inch I probably would have done a regular mattress pad. I also agree with everyone about the encasement. We got one to go between the old mattress and all of the nice new bedding.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...skuId=69595650

This is the one my daughter got, I guess it was only 2". The cover was included and kept it all neat. She actually mentioned how much she liked her dorm bed! Lol. She ended up buying the exact same topper in queen size for her bed at home, and that she'll use in her apartment next year.
    Last edited by khm; 07-01-2022 at 10:09 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast