Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bug spray?

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I do the permetherin in our garage on a tarp, so not in the house and well ventilated, but I can close the door if stuff needs to dry over night (we open a window in the garage). The clothing gets soaked in a bag with the solution, then hung dry. The shoes and hats get sprayed and then air dried.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A little off topic but kind of concerning. About 10 years ago when we moved to this house, I researched permethrin because it was recommended as a good way to protect against mosquitoes but not as scary as DEET. The safety sheets I read said that permethrin was carcinogenic when inhaled. The research strongly recommended avoiding spraying permethrin and if that’s necessary, spray it outdoors while wearing a respirator. This was to be limited too because permethrin is very toxic to honey bees. Since permethrin can’t be absorbed through the skin, it’s not carcinogenic when work on clothes. For that reason, I have been a big fan of Insect Shield bandanas and clothes. They arrive pretreated.

But this thread started me researching again. The safety sheets I now see have been updated. The only serious warning about toxicity is in regards to bees and marine life. In fact, it appears now permethrin is being used as a wide-spread pesticide for crops. But the safety articles no longer warn against inhaling airborne permethrin.

I find that concerning and worth consideration. Ymmv
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

A little off topic but kind of concerning. About 10 years ago when we moved to this house, I researched permethrin because it was recommended as a good way to protect against mosquitoes but not as scary as DEET. The safety sheets I read said that permethrin was carcinogenic when inhaled. The research strongly recommended avoiding spraying permethrin and if that’s necessary, spray it outdoors while wearing a respirator. This was to be limited too because permethrin is very toxic to honey bees. Since permethrin can’t be absorbed through the skin, it’s not carcinogenic when worn on clothes. For that reason, I have been a big fan of Insect Shield bandanas and clothes. The clothes arrive pretreated.

But this thread started me researching again. The safety sheets I now see have been updated. The only serious warning about toxicity is in regards to bees and marine life. In fact, it appears now permethrin is being used as a wide-spread pesticide for crops. But the safety articles no longer warn against inhaling airborne permethrin.

" I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    A little off topic but kind of concerning. About 10 years ago when we moved to this house, I researched permethrin because it was recommended as a good way to protect against mosquitoes but not as scary as DEET. The safety sheets I read said that permethrin was carcinogenic when inhaled. The research strongly recommended avoiding spraying permethrin and if that’s necessary, spray it outdoors while wearing a respirator. This was to be limited too because permethrin is very toxic to honey bees. Since permethrin can’t be absorbed through the skin, it’s not carcinogenic when worn on clothes. For that reason, I have been a big fan of Insect Shield bandanas and clothes. The clothes arrive pretreated.

Permethrin has been used for many years to treat wool carpets. Info found here. I think it is more ubiquitous than we realize. https://www.homereference.net/wool-carpet-pros-cons/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3