Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Happy July 4th!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Happy July 4th!

My family’s recent trip to France helped us all realize how fortunate we are here in America to have so many opportunities and so many resources (natural and otherwise) and freedoms. We are also so fortunate that our country is large and diverse. Everyone has gifts that make a difference here. Sometimes it takes a trip away to realize the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Happy 4th of July to all the Americans out there!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We just got back from Europe and feel the opposite…
    But, I hope everyone enjoys their day off and has fun with friends and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am finding myself torn about being patriotic this year. Grateful to those who have fought and given their lives for our freedoms, but sadness over what America currently is. So many recent events have me shaking my head in frustration and/or anger and wanting to live somewhere else. DH and I were in Jamaica 2 weeks ago and the mindset of the locals we talked to is so different from American mindset (people living in poverty yet still so thankful for what they do have). Yet I work with international families (homeschool education) that are so jealous of the educational and other freedoms we have in the US, things I have often taken for granted because it is all I've known. I realize the grass is not always greener on the other side, but the past few years have helped to open my mind to the possibility of living somewhere else. It's become a strong internal struggle and a common part of DH's and I conversations lately.

I do wish you all a happy and safe celebration today.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We just got back from Europe and feel the opposite…
    But, I hope everyone enjoys their day off and has fun with friends and family.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Well, I think you can choose to look for the negative or positive in any situation. Even my grandparents who lived in a tent with their children because they were so poor were happy for the little that they had.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Happy 4th of July!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

cvanbrunt is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Well given that 5 people were killed and at least a dozen other shot with an AR-15 at a parade about 15 minutes from my home I'm gonna have to disagree. Not feeling too optimistic about the land of gun care and health control.
    Carrie

DD#1 September 2005
    DD#2 October 2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    I realize the grass is not always greener on the other side, but the past few years have helped to open my mind to the possibility of living somewhere else. It's become a strong internal struggle and a common part of DH's and I conversations lately.

I do wish you all a happy and safe celebration today.
    For anyone who has not lived abroad, I highly recommend it. Going on vacation somewhere for even a month is not the same. Live there, learn the laws, talk to the people, try to understand the culture, pay the taxes. Only then can you realize there is no Utopia. There will always be bad along with the good. There is a reason the greeting cards all recommend seeing the glass as half full.

But, if you do find a place where the glass is all full, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    Well given that 5 people were killed and at least a dozen other shot with an AR-15 at a parade about 15 minutes from my home I'm gonna have to disagree. Not feeling too optimistic about the land of gun care and health control.
    I’m sorry that your community has been impacted. I feel similarly about today. (I’m in the red state just west of yours.)

And gatorsmom, I have lived abroad. My husband is an immigrant from a former communist country. His relatives live in Germany and England. My cousin and her family live in Germany; they decided to live abroad three years ago and don’t have any desire to return for given the current situation. My husband is very horrified by our current situation as well. No, there is no ideal country, but the combo of mass shootings on a weekly (daily???) basis and the Supreme Court is expanding gun rights is beyond unacceptable.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    Goodness! How tragic. Chances are, this will not be the only such event today. People are sick and the gun control laws are frightening.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Happy July 4th!

Modifying post in light of IL.
    How scary!
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 07-04-2022 at 04:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast