Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Happy July 4th!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Happy July 4th!

Quote Originally Posted by cvanbrunt View Post
    Well given that 5 people were killed and at least a dozen other shot with an AR-15 at a parade about 15 minutes from my home I'm gonna have to disagree. Not feeling too optimistic about the land of gun care and health control.
    How awful….I saw that this am. I agree that gun control and health control aren’t too good right now.

Fwiw I have never lived abroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    My family’s recent trip to France helped us all realize how fortunate we are here in America to have so many opportunities and so many resources (natural and otherwise) and freedoms. We are also so fortunate that our country is large and diverse. Everyone has gifts that make a difference here. Sometimes it takes a trip away to realize the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

Happy 4th of July to all the Americans out there!
    I’m a naturalized U.S citizen who moved away from a country with democratic government but very oppressive towards women.

Ironically in the 24 years I’ve been here, my homeland have gotten much more progressive with gay marriage, declining Catholic Church influence, reproductive rights passed and protected. Also best of all, no guns as well. Whereas here in my adopted country I loved a lot reversed a lot of things I admired and moved here for. All gone now. So no, it’s certainly not better for me and millions of other Americans and women, but especially for POC and marginalized populations. You’re speaking from your hugely white privilege to say this, especially on the 4th when we have yet another shooting. The grass may not be greener elsewhere, but at least they’re not massacred by numerous endless shootings here.

Well given that 5 people were killed and at least a dozen other shot with an AR-15 at a parade about 15 minutes from my home I'm gonna have to disagree. Not feeling too optimistic about the land of gun care and health control.
    I’m so sorry for you. I’m just so weary and tired of this; words isn’t enough to express my range of emotions cuz I don’t have any anymore. This is NOT normal nowadays, and I challenge people who thinks this country is normal now. It is NOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

This, although I would say 35 minutes. On one hand, I feel fortunate that I can say these things out loud. On the other, pass gun control. Assault weapons should be banned. Full stop.

I mean, that young adult stood on top of a low rise building and started shooting at folks who set up early to watch a parade. Small children, their parents and the elderly.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am so sad today about the state of our (those of us who live in the US) country.
    Last edited by JustMe; 07-04-2022 at 09:44 PM.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hugs for all those hurting on this 4th of July. DH is also an immigrant and it is hard knowing how his family back home now views America.

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Though it's nice to spend time with family, I'm having a hard time getting excited about July 4th, and the shooting was the final straw. Like others, I have lived in and spent considerable time in other countries. I don't even recognize the country we moved to all those years ago.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Add Philly to the list. Does it get anymore American than this? I have portraits of the founding fathers hanging in my home and my DS is named after a President. But I’ve lived abroad and what I wouldn’t give to have a visa or another passport as an option out these days.

https://twitter.com/hjjjjhjkbb/statu...unyMXYL4zyeIEw

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I hope you all were able to celebrate yesterday something you appreciate about our country. I’m so sorry for everyone here who is grieving.

There were a lot of bitter posts here and I won’t address them except to say I’m deeply sorry for anyone living in fear and with grief. The biggest gift this country gives its citizens is a voice and the freedoms to enact change. Even if you oppose it, you cannot deny that the recent ruling by the SCOTUS was historic and proved that major change is possible in our country. Change is possible here and that is a gift to be cherished and appreciated. God bless America!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I hope you all were able to celebrate yesterday something you appreciate about our country. I’m so sorry for everyone here who is grieving.

There were a lot of bitter posts here and I won’t address them except to say I’m deeply sorry for anyone living in fear and with grief. The biggest gift this country gives its citizens is a voice and the freedoms to enact change. Even if you oppose it, you cannot deny that the recent ruling by the SCOTUS was historic and proved that major change is possible in our country. Change is possible here and that is a gift to be cherished and appreciated. God bless America!
    we know that the Supreme Court ruling(s) are what you have been waiting for but you know from years on here that many of us strongly disagree with what happened.

There are a lot of democracies in the world where my vote matters and can change policies. The US is not reflecting my values. We need term limits and a better system to keep the wheels moving forward vs deeply entrenched partisan politicians that won't work together and are ineffective leaders.

Are you still moving forward with your home in France?

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Happy July 4th!

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Add Philly to the list. Does it get anymore American than this? I have portraits of the founding fathers hanging in my home and my DS is named after a President. But I’ve lived abroad and what I wouldn’t give to have a visa or another passport as an option out these days.

It is just awful and to feel so conflicted about America these days, but still had to celebrate the 4th yesterday (put my flag out and watched a local fireworks show). My brother’s wife is a Canadian citizen (her mother was born there so she got her citizenship that way) and I believe my nephew (just 2 years old) is in the process of getting his citizenship (if he hasn’t already) so I honestly expect in the next few years if my brother is able to find a job there that they will move there. They live in Portland, own a home there, are very progressive, and while they have a good friend base there I could see them leaving the states for Canada in a heartbeat if the opportunity were to present itself.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 07-05-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast