Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Rooftop solar panels?

Our house couldn't be better for rooftop solar panels. We have a south facing lot, no trees in our backyard. Dh researched a few years back but has bumped the project up to the do ASAP list and has forgotten most of what he researched. His friend got them and, as is this friend's way, really researched the heck out of it and made things feel a bit overwhelming. The friend coordinated each piece independently (equipment, install...) so he could get exactly what he wanted. If that's the best way to do it, that's fine. If you had these installed or researched them, I'll take any info you can share. Thanks!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have not researched a lot but people are often asking about this on our NextDoor and the responses are you have to be in your home a long time before there is a payback. Also they can be an issue when selling bc if they are not paid for in full then new owner has to assume contract which they won’t always do and it is expensive to have them removed. I know there are rebates you can get as well but I think many of the companies that do them have questionable business practices.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mmsmom View Post
    I have not researched a lot but people are often asking about this on our NextDoor and the responses are you have to be in your home a long time before there is a payback. Also they can be an issue when selling bc if they are not paid for in full then new owner has to assume contract which they won’t always do and it is expensive to have them removed. I know there are rebates you can get as well but I think many of the companies that do them have questionable business practices.
    This is what has stopped me from installing. Hoping someone here has had a good experience and has info to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We just moved into this house 2 years ago and plan to stay put so hoping that won’t be an issue but good to consider. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for asking this. We moved recently and I feel like our roof is perfect for solar. There are a few panels up there to heat the pool, but something isn't working correctly. This is a good reminder to get researching!

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We have done preliminary research. If your roof is near the end of its life, replace it first. Seems obvious, but you don't want to spend all the money for solar and a couple years later need to replace the roof. Same with any solar pool heating on the roof. Check your state programs, because I think a lot of the rebate programs are drying up. There are also now solar roof tiles, as in replace standard roof shingles with solar shingles, which may be worth investigating.
    Here in CA the solar company that is featured at Costco gets really bad reviews. So always get recommendations, check reviews, and check contractors license. Here in CA there is a separate contractors license for solar than roofing or electrical.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Rebates ending is what is motivating dh. Roof is less than 4 years old so good there!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    We have done preliminary research. If your roof is near the end of its life, replace it first. Seems obvious, but you don't want to spend all the money for solar and a couple years later need to replace the roof. Same with any solar pool heating on the roof. Check your state programs, because I think a lot of the rebate programs are drying up. There are also now solar roof tiles, as in replace standard roof shingles with solar shingles, which may be worth investigating.
    Here in CA the solar company that is featured at Costco gets really bad reviews. So always get recommendations, check reviews, and check contractors license. Here in CA there is a separate contractors license for solar than roofing or electrical.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    When my family moved to their current house about 5 years ago, my DIL researched solar roof tiles (since they knew they would need to replace the roof fairly soon). I don’t remember the details but she concluded that they would not be cost effective. Perhaps it was also true (as they discovered with some other improvements) that none of the contractors were familiar enough with solar tiles that they were interested in installing them. She didn’t want to be the project that the contractor learned on…

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We are in Florida Dh did a spread sheet with 3 different quotes and it wasn’t worth it for us The panels would need replaced bu the time they were paid off and the homeowners insurance goes up because of storm damage
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

It didn't pencil out for us, either.
    The pannels would need a seperate rider for insurance here, also, that was an added expense.
    We're high enough north that we wouldn't get as much out of them as we could elsewhere.
    We live in a forest, and the pannels would have to be cleaned of pollen every year - what a pain!
    Install would require putting holes in our new roof - voiding the warranty for the roof!

I do wonder if things would pencil out different if we had electric cars? Electric cars are not really much of an option for us due to how rural we are and how little infrastructure there is for them here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast