Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default My brother has COVID

And he'll be fine. He's vaccinated and boosted. He's having mild cold symptoms.

But - this is after almost 2.5 years of him being an AH about OUR risk to HIM because DH and I are HCP and my kids were going to school. We have always followed masking rules when in place, got vaccinated/boosted when appropriate (kids too). But otherwise didn't hold our kids back from activities after they were offered again and didn't make the kids mask when it was no longer required and got SO MUCH side-eye over those decisions at different points. Including most recently in mid-June he and his family refused to come to my house for dinner to see my SIL/BIL and their kids because of the risk of COVID (youngest wasn't vaccinated yet, etc).

His kids were over my house this morning playing with my kids, and if they give my kids COVID right before our cruise in 11 days I am going to lose my mind. The irony! But I want to scream!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

I know this is BP but I've shopped through a bit of anger, and I'm ready for planning and analysis, if anyone wants to offer any!

Presumably, DB picked up COVID at a work event he held last Thursday night (7/7). Friday (7/8) we went to his house for dinner along with my parents and hung out inside for most of the evening. All 6 adults are vaccinated and boosted x1, my 70 year old parents have been dragging their feet on getting their second booster. My kids (10 and 8) are boosted mid-June. My 5 year old niece is vaccinated but not eligible for booster yet, and my 2 year old niece just got her first dose of Moderna last week.

Today, after I left my kids with our nanny (vaccinated and boosted and had COVID in mid-June), my brother dropped off my nieces at my house. He was inside for a few minutes, but he typically doesn't stay long, my guess is <5 min. I had left already. Per my DD, she was "on the stairs because she was waiting for [nanny] to come back to finish doing her hair." DS was upstairs and didn't really see DB.

DS and DD played with DNs for 20 minutes or so inside and rode 5 minutes in the car together with nanny before they got dropped off at camp. Later in the morning, DB started feeling unwell and tested +. Nanny dropped DNs off before picking up my kids. DNs and SIL are currently testing negative, and DB is isolating in the guest room. Though unclear to my how in the world SIL will be able to handle by herself with a 2 yo, 5 yo, and 10 week old puppy they just got and no one to take the kids during the day.

1) What's our risk in this situation? I think the Friday exposure too early for him to transmit, and I think today hopefully too short/far away. And nanny should still have immunity due to her recent infection.
    2) My parents WILL now get their 2nd booster this week. But I had planned to take the kids to their beach house this weekend. I should cancel this, right?
    3) We should not see any of them until after we get back from the trip, right? We leave 7/23.

I feel like all of us have had more high risk exposures, but the stakes were not quite as high, so it's stressing me out. Thoughts?
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh dear!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I know this is BP but I've shopped through a bit of anger, and I'm ready for planning and analysis, if anyone wants to offer any!

Presumably, DB picked up COVID at a work event he held last Thursday night (7/7). Friday (7/8) we went to his house for dinner along with my parents and hung out inside for most of the evening. All 6 adults are vaccinated and boosted x1, my 70 year old parents have been dragging their feet on getting their second booster. My kids (10 and 8) are boosted mid-June. My 5 year old niece is vaccinated but not eligible for booster yet, and my 2 year old niece just got her first dose of Moderna last week.

Today, after I left my kids with our nanny (vaccinated and boosted and had COVID in mid-June), my brother dropped off my nieces at my house. He was inside for a few minutes, but he typically doesn't stay long, my guess is <5 min. I had left already. Per my DD, she was "on the stairs because she was waiting for [nanny] to come back to finish doing her hair." DS was upstairs and didn't really see DB.

DS and DD played with DNs for 20 minutes or so inside and rode 5 minutes in the car together with nanny before they got dropped off at camp. Later in the morning, DB started feeling unwell and tested +. Nanny dropped DNs off before picking up my kids. DNs and SIL are currently testing negative, and DB is isolating in the guest room. Though unclear to my how in the world SIL will be able to handle by herself with a 2 yo, 5 yo, and 10 week old puppy they just got and no one to take the kids during the day.

1) What's our risk in this situation? I think the Friday exposure too early for him to transmit, and I think today hopefully too short/far away. And nanny should still have immunity due to her recent infection.
    2) My parents WILL now get their 2nd booster this week. But I had planned to take the kids to their beach house this weekend. I should cancel this, right?
    3) We should not see any of them until after we get back from the trip, right? We leave 7/23.

I feel like all of us have had more high risk exposures, but the stakes were not quite as high, so it's stressing me out. Thoughts?
    I responded before seeing your second post. I would steer clear of your BIL’s entire family and your parents until your trip. Even the nanny would make me nervous but I think your rational is good re her recent infection.

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I responded before seeing your second post. I would steer clear of your BIL’s entire family and your parents until your trip. Even the nanny would make me nervous but I think your rational is good re her recent infection.

Yeah, I'd love to hole up and quarantine ourselves, but DH and I need to work, and my kids otherwise don't have childcare
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh! I'm sorry!

I think Friday's exposure is too soon, and I wouldn't worry about that. I'd skip the beach house this weekend. Not worth the risk when you have a vacation next week. As for today's exposure, that could go either way. I'm guessing your brother was not around your kids long enough to infect them. But my guess is that it is only a matter of days before your SIL and nieces test positive. If they aren't positive today, and you don't see them anytime soon, you will probably be okay.

Just as a reference of timing for your brother and SIL, my BIL had a dry cough on a Saturday that they thought was probably allergies. He tested just to be safe and was positive (more severe symptoms started the next day). My sister immediately took their son and they went to their apartment in the city as fast as they could and left him to isolate at their house. They were hoping to avoid catching it as they had a trip planned. My sister and son tested daily, and by Tuesday they tested positive. My sister had mild symptoms, but my nephew ended up in the hospital for a night due to his cough and not being able to maintain his oxygen levels. So odds are your SIL and nieces have had enough exposure that they will test positive in a few days, so I'd steer clear of them!

Both my sister and BIL are vaxed as of Dec, but no boosters. Neither one had anything worse than a bad cold. It was their 3 yr old who got hit the hardest. This happened the same week the vax was approved for the under 5, so he did not have a chance to be vaxed yet.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Totally 100% stinks!!!
    I’m sorry. I would go to work, have the kids hang with the nanny or camp if you feel ok about it—our numbers are high here!
    I hope you all can stay well for your big trip and not get sick on the journey either. There’s just so much Covid now.
    K

Yes, I'm going to be surprised if SIL and my nieces don't end up testing positive in the next few days. Right now, DB is isolating in his guest room, but they only have 1 bathroom and a small house so it's going to be very tough on SIL. And the puppy is really quite a handful - at the bitey barky jumpy energetic age that needs a lot of attention! So honestly, it may end up for the best if SIL ends up positive because then DB will be able to help out with the girls+puppy.

I'm trying to remind myself that my kids got through the last few months of school unmasked, and at different points both teachers and friends were symptomatic and in school.

This is all causing me so much anxiety. I was anxious about this trip to start with and this has just caused it to go through the roof. I wish I could relax, but instead I'm just shopping instead of sleeping. Did you know they had nice bras at the Nordstrom sale???
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My DS2 was Covid + in early May - entire family made it through pandemic including DS1 working in a local chain pharmacy the entire time (20-30 hours weekly), DH working in person, etc. So when DS2 came up positive....DS1 was heading to the UK for a college trip a few weeks after DS2 was +. My biggest worry was DS1 and his trip!!

and NO ONE ELSE in the house got it. Fingers crossed for you!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Basil, do you have trip insurance?

This variant is super contagious. :/
    K

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast