Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ugh! What horrible timing! So sorry you are going through this right before a much needed vacation. Sending positive thoughts and crossing my fingers for you that you all stay negative!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh my gosh! I can't believe it. I know how much you've worried about this trip. Crossing fingers so hard that you are able to go and all is well! I remember your DB's attitude about the whole thing and it is kind of ironic.

I do kind of feel bad for your brother! Our family had to try to weather COVID with half of us positive and half not and it was ROUGH. Thankfully we have TWO bathrooms but still. When the final three members tested positive my kids were crying with happy tears so they could play together again and not be separated into a small part of the house.

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I feel a little bad for DB. But - he is the one in the guest room with his gaming computer and a stuffy nose while SIL has the 2 nieces, the puppy, and has to do 100% of the cooking/clean up/shopping/etc. And I think she’s still trying to work from home too.

We do have trip insurance. I know this is a major first world problem. We will all be fine even if we get covid. No one will die. But I have been planning this trip since summer of 2019 (originally scheduled for summer of 2020). It was a major struggle to find dates that both DH and I could take 2 weeks off in a row. We have NEVER in the 16 years we’ve spent together had 2 weeks off in a row! So if we don’t go now it will probably be years until we can try to go again.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    I feel a little bad for DB. But - he is the one in the guest room with his gaming computer and a stuffy nose while SIL has the 2 nieces, the puppy, and has to do 100% of the cooking/clean up/shopping/etc. And I think she’s still trying to work from home too.

We do have trip insurance. I know this is a major first world problem. We will all be fine even if we get covid. No one will die. But I have been planning this trip since summer of 2019 (originally scheduled for summer of 2020). It was a major struggle to find dates that both DH and I could take 2 weeks off in a row. We have NEVER in the 16 years we’ve spent together had 2 weeks off in a row! So if we don’t go now it will probably be years until we can try to go again.
    Oh gosh. You're right! I agree with you. It IS your SIL that I really feel sorry for! And her kids. Yikes.

I mean it when I say I really feel for you on this, regardless of it being a "first world problem"! I've been a witness (just as you've posted here on the boards!) to the amount of effort and strain that the pandemic has put on your work, on your family, on your children, the strain it has caused in your extended family. I think I speak for most of us on the board when I say that you really deserve this vacation and we're all pulling for you that it will work out!

So DB took a course of Paxlovid (he qualified due to his DM). And is now asymptomatic and testing negative on Day 5.

DSIL, and both nieces are still negative, as are my kids.

Now we have to figure out how to deal with this week! We had been having our nanny watch all 4 kids during the summer. I didn't schedule my kids any camp for this week because I didn't want to risk the exposure right before the trip.

Now that they are all testing negative I'm sure they want to get back to work, i.e. have nanny watch their kids as well, but I am still nervous - what if he gets Paxlovid rebound or something?

Thoughts or advice? Help!!
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I’d hire a teen babysitter for your kids. Camp wouldn’t be my choice since you’re trying to minimize exposure. You’re kids are big- they don’t need an adult nanny. Even if they can’t drive, it’s no biggie. Just let them play at home without their cousins.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Everyone I know who has taken Paxlovid has loved it (other than the taste in their mouth). I would still keep your kids away from their cousins.

If you get Covid, start taking Paxlovid immediately. My low risk friends did it and could leave on their international trip.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Everyone I know who has taken Paxlovid has loved it (other than the taste in their mouth). I would still keep your kids away from their cousins.

If you get Covid, start taking Paxlovid immediately. My low risk friends did it and could leave on their international trip.
    How did they get it if they were low risk? Based on DB's experience, I probably would want to take it if I got COVID, but don't qualify under any of the high risk conditions.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    How did they get it if they were low risk? Based on DB's experience, I probably would want to take it if I got COVID, but don't qualify under any of the high risk conditions.
    Both friends have a doctor in the family, so they had their doctor friends prescribe it. Here, the pharmacy didn’t ask any questions.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Both friends have a doctor in the family, so they had their doctor friends prescribe it. Here, the pharmacy didn’t ask any questions.
    Duh! I guess I could get DH to prescribe it if it came to that. I sort of wish I could take some with me, but I understand that because it's EUA you aren't allowed to prescribe it without a positive test.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast