jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default New River Gorge National Park

We’ll be passing through WV later this summer and hoping to make a stop at New River Gorge. Other hidden gems in the area not to be missed? Has anyone here visited the park? Any favorite activities? Favorite outfitters? Lodging nearby? TIA

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have used ACE for two gulley/new river trips. Great experiences.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Percycat View Post
    I have used ACE for two gulley/new river trips. Great experiences.
    Would you mind sharing which trips you did? I have a hesitant 12 yr old who isn’t convinced he wants to whitewater raft.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Well, I was in my 20's and early 30s when I went -- we went in October during the dam release flows and wanted big rapids. I haven't been in the summer. Generally, the New River is a gentler ride than the Upper Gulley, and the Upper New River is gentler than the Lower New River. If you raft the Lower New, you will raft under the Tunney Hunsaker Bridge.

The website has this information to help you decide an appropriate white water trip for your group:
    https://aceraft.com/white-water-raft...ting-for-kids/

ACE also has a lot of other activities at its adventure park. You could plan on rafting one day and enjoy other activities another day.

I hope you have a great trip.

I've never been but several friends have recommended ACE adventure park and their excursions. They have lodging onsite. The area is beautiful!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have used ACE and Adventures on the Gorge, though it has been a few years. Both were good.

The trips on the upper New River have lower minimum ages, so they are going to be tamer. Class III are fun, but not much more than a theme park water ride excitement level. We did Class III when DS3 was 10. DH and I found it tame, but it was still fun. The lower New will go up to Class IV or V, but some of it depends on the water levels at the time.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)