ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Forms ds turning 18?

What is the easiest way to have hippa and POA filled out once he turns 18 in a few weeks and heads to college?

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used Mama Bear legal forms. There are 20% off codes floating around but you can use my link if you want to get the discount (full disclosure I would get a $10 gift card) https://share.mamabearlegalforms.com/Jennifer101

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I used Mama Bear too. You should get them notarized

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

IF you already have an estate atty, ask how much they would charge. Ours did DD’s hipaa release, health care power of attorney and financial power of attorney for $125. (Might have gotten the “he was my HS boyfriend” discount but he’s now one of the biggest/best estate attorneys here.)

He once again thought of a few things I wouldn’t have. His office sent docs, we sent back for notarization. They kept a copy with our other stuff and sent copies back.

Whatever you do make sure everyone named has a scanned copy on their phone in addition to the hard copy with your other docs. I sent a scan to our executor as well.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We just down loaded the forms off of a website from the state, they are not notorized, a friend who is attorney said for access to Healthcare it wasn't necessary. We don't have financial assets to worry about at this time. He also said it wasn't necessary to pay for any of this.

I do think making sure they have a copy on their phone is important, and have them write down important contact numbers, if they lose their phone/wallet they need to be able to call you, their bank etc.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Just curious, has anyone had a kid not willing to sign these forms? I seem to have a different take on this than most people and felt all I needed was (1) Health Care Proxy that would kick in if he couldn't make decisions for himself and (2) sign off from him for the bursar's office for his college so I can see and pay the bills. It's not like a hospital is never not going to treat or do surgery if needed if your kid can't sign, they will go NOK if there is no proxy. I honestly not sure if my kid's would sign them if asked. Probably not everything, but I guess I raised them with that expectation?

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    Just curious, has anyone had a kid not willing to sign these forms? I seem to have a different take on this than most people and felt all I needed was (1) Health Care Proxy that would kick in if he couldn't make decisions for himself and (2) sign off from him for the bursar's office for his college so I can see and pay the bills. It's not like a hospital is never not going to treat or do surgery if needed if your kid can't sign, they will go NOK if there is no proxy. I honestly not sure if my kid's would sign them if asked. Probably not everything, but I guess I raised them with that expectation?
    We will probably do a healthcare representative form. He has added us to his school account. His checking is linked to ours, so we can move money in and out of it as needed. So, yeah, that about covers it.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I totally agree. DS1 "reported" me to his PCP for signing the HIPAA receipt of privacy practices without reading it first when he was 7, so the chances of him wanting to give me carte blanche are pretty slim. The HIPAA release in particular intrigues me though, as many covered entities are uncomfortable honoring releases other than their own. I can tell you that we (health plan) will if there is a compelling reason - but only after legal review, which obviously takes a bit. It would have to be a pretty extreme situation for us to want to allocate resources in that way - and chances are that such a situation would make the release moot anyway.

I'm an attorney who practices in this area, and I don't know that I'd ever advocate for having a broad HIPAA release for an adult child - it's just unlikely to work in the way you hope it will.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    I totally agree. DS1 "reported" me to his PCP for signing the HIPAA receipt of privacy practices without reading it first when he was 7, so the chances of him wanting to give me carte blanche are pretty slim. The HIPAA release in particular intrigues me though, as many covered entities are uncomfortable honoring releases other than their own. I can tell you that we (health plan) will if there is a compelling reason - but only after legal review, which obviously takes a bit. It would have to be a pretty extreme situation for us to want to allocate resources in that way - and chances are that such a situation would make the release moot anyway.

I'm an attorney who practices in this area, and I don't know that I'd ever advocate for having a broad HIPAA release for an adult child - it's just unlikely to work in the way you hope it will.
    Oh, that's good to know, thanks. I think there have been some well publicized cases of college students and mental health crises with parents not be able to get information. But I don't think many people realize that an adult child can revoke your right to get their information at any point and even if you get information you still can't make decisions for them unless they are completely unable to make decisions for themselves. The bar is pretty high for ruling an adult unable to make decisions for themselves as an outpatient or any psychiatric facility. Hospitals tend to be a little looser for admitted patients for medical procedures. When there is an emergency with the understanding that the immediate family will be the ones to go to if there is a time sensitive question, like going to surgery. But as soon as a patient says, don't give X person the information, we don't. I am not saying don't get them, I guess I am unsure exactly what benefit the HIPPA authorization forms give parents and they seldom come into play. It's annoying when dealing with insurance and billing issues for my eldest, but I figure he needs to learn how to do this anyway and I just walk him through it. He has now graduated to dealing with the dentist and PCP on his own. In fact I still had is log in information for his patient gateway and some notice about a test result came across my screen, I logged into his account, without realizing it, and saw a test result for him and was, "Oh, yeah, I don't need to see that" and quickly erased his password for his account from my phone, lol.