Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Vacation Dilemma part 99...

We were supposed to leave for Yellowstone this summer but two days before our departure Yellowstone experience catastrophic flooding and in the uncertainty we cancelled that trip. DH took a week off later in the summer instead with plans to do something else. It was supposed to be DS1's "dream trip" but we figure we'll head back to Yellowstone in a year when we can plan ahead and see what we want to see.

So now our week is coming up and it isn't next week but the week following. We had plans to go to Redwood, Olympic and Lassen national parks but here's the deal. I still don't have lodging for it! I have managed to secure about 2 of our 9 nights. Even continuing to increase our budget I'm having trouble finding anything available for 6 people that's even remotely close to what we'd like to do. Like at this point if they told me I had to $1000 a night but the housing would be remotely near what we're seeking I'd probably jump on it. Sigh.

So DH and I had an emergency meeting this morning. We found out that we can do two other trips and still (mostly) keep to our budget.

First, we could (barely) afford a Pleasant Hawaiian Holidays vacation. We definitely have enough for hotel stay and flights with 2K to spare for food and activities (including rental car) on the island and I'm not sure we could stick to it. We could take from our other savings and still be financially just fine. But it would stretch our reserves and DH and I had wanted to Europe in the spring while his parents are still in Switzerland. So that's an option. It is amazing and epic and we would be all set...but it is expensive.

Second, we could do a week at Disneyworld. DH gets discounts for lodging and parks. Even with airfare for 6 the price would be half of what it would cost to go to Hawaii. We are fans of Disney. This vacation might even cost less than our car trip to the National Parks around us!! Which is crazy to consider. I just can't tell you how much lodging will cost for 9 nights for 6 people at the very last minute. I think the timing here is everything. We didn't plan poorly--we just got dealt some bad luck with what happened in Yellowstone and now we need to make something work.

So... what would you do?

I think I should let DS1 decide. DH thinks that it would be better to "surprise" the kids. Hawaii still seems too expensive to me. I mean, we have the money but it would be a stretch. The easiest vacation and possibly cheapest would be Disneyworld. If I was purely picking for me I might pick that. I guess my biggest reservation would be that it is SOOO different than the original idea of a trip to Yellowstone! My kids love science and nature and geology and wild animals. I guess they also love treats and rides and movies...but you guys get it? At least at Hawaii we could look at volcanoes and spend time outside. Disneyworld is epic but also very different in scope!

WWYD?

Would love your thoughts. We gotta get this figured out!

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You couldn't pay me to go to Disneyworld/ Florida in August. I would do Hawaii in a heartbeat.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    You couldn't pay me to go to Disneyworld/ Florida in August. I would do Hawaii in a heartbeat.

I didn't think about that! DisneyLAND is not too bad in August, haha.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I didn't think about that! DisneyLAND is not too bad in August, haha.
    Lol. No offense to any Floridians, but we Californians are generally not at all prepared for Florida weather in August.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Personally? I'd do Hawaii! Sounds dreamy to me right now.

But, full disclosure, Disney would be at the very bottom of any vacation option for me. Does not sound dreamy, lol. Doubly so given the time of year......

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    Lol. No offense to any Floridians, but we Californians are generally not at all prepared for Florida weather in August.

Yeah...we have a high of 76 today. Lol.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Hawaii for sure!!! August is a great time to go (we went over spring break once and the water was way too cold).

I don't even like going to Disneyland so Disney World wouldn't even be on my radar.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 should pick.
    Park reservations are required at Disney and there are already sold out parks in August so plan fast if you decide to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ds1 should pick.
    Park reservations are required at Disney and there are already sold out parks in August so plan fast if you decide to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I think DH said all the parks were open all the days except Hollywood Studios (my least favorite last time!) was only open a few days…

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I'm also from CA, and also not a fan of Florida or even Disney (please no offense)...so Hawaii for sure! You mentioned volcanoes... is your package to the Big Island? If to Oahu, can your husband get you into Aulani?

I feel you re: summer vacay challenges. We had a trip planned for last week, I had the week off of work...but due to all sorts of everything, I had to cancel our week and I basically just sat at home bitter, lol. My kids were fine bc they just wanted to hand with friends all summer anyways, but I was grumpy.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast