Default NYC for a day—need planning help

So I’m taking DD (16) on a quick Labor Day weekend trip to MA/CT/NY to see a few colleges, and I’ve decided to spend one day in NYC. We aren’t planning on seeing any colleges in the city, just touristy stuff. I know some of you live in that area, so I’d like some feedback. Our general itinerary is fly in/out of Hartford (BDL), visit Amherst and Williams. Spend Friday night in Williamstown and drive to see Vassar on Saturday (it’s about 2 hours). We don’t have an official tour lined up since nothing is offered that day, so just a self tour and timing is flexible. Here is where I need the help. I’m don’t want to drive into the city for obvious reasons. I’d rather take a train or metro north. Now should I just stay at a hotel in White Plains on Saturday and Sunday and take metro north into the city for the day? Or should I spend the night in the city on Saturday and in the White Plains area on Sunday after taking the train back in the evening? To further complicate the matter, BIL lives in Danbury and we’d love to see him and his kids (we can’t stay with them since their place is tiny). On Monday, we plan on visiting Wesleyan. Flight back home from Hartford leaves in the evening, so we have all day Monday.

Any tips? Advice? For reference, I haven’t been to NYC in 15 years. I lived in Manhattan for one year of grad school in 96-97, so I have a basic understanding of how the subway works and how to get around. It will be me, DD, and DS1 (13).

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are going to be in NYC for Labor Day weekend…

We have planned on Sat. to go to a show (boys picked The Cursed Child) and then we booked a VR at the Harry Potter store…dinner after.

On Sunday we are doing a Pizza Tour in Brooklyn followed by The Stranger Things Experience (also in Brooklyn)…dinner after.

I love the museums myself, but we let the kids pick this time, although DH has been picking restaurants.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What do you want to do/see while you're in NYC?

DD and I like the Met 5th Avenue, but I also want to take her to The Cloisters so she can see the Unicorn Tapestries in situ. At the Met, there's both the 2nd part of the "Made in America" exhibit interspersing selected pieces styled on mannequins through rooms in the American Wing, and the Kimono Style exhibit in the East Asia galleries, that I want to see before they close.

I'd also like to head to the Cooper-Hewitt because they have an exhibit about the Hewitt sisters, for whom I have a soft spot as they summered in the town where I grew up. (That summer place is one of my most favorite places in NJ.)

DD recommends the Ancient Playground (roughly a block north of the Met 5th Ave in Central Park) because it's got a lot of great features for climbing, but a lack of shade & the fact that it's summertime might make it a bit crowded. (And, well, you have teenagers who may not insist on playtime like my kid does!)

Across town, we both love the New-York Historical Society, which is one corner south of the American Museum of Natural History; they may have living history interpreters/educator programs during the weekend, so keep an eye on their site & social media. (We recommend the Tiffany Lamps exhibit and the DiMenna Children's Museum.)

We typically take NJ Transit in & either walk or take the subway; I've made friends with a handful of subway lines since college, so I'm very comfortable taking them, but I would really struggle with the bus system.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Top of the Rock would be my must do (or one of the newer ones- The Edge or Summit One). TOTR would have the added benefit of crossing Rockefeller Center off of your "must see" list (it's one of my favorite places in Manhattan; I just love the architecture!).

TOTR, Times Square and Central Park would probably be my circuit that day (in any order). No one in my family likes TS but it is something to see and say you saw it. But, do you have anything on your must do list?

I'd be tempted to go to Zabars or other food hall (hand the kids $50 and let them go nuts at the Chelsea Market; hit Eataly if you find yourself near one). Lots of choices here https://ny.eater.com/maps/best-food-...yc-what-to-eat

Or go to Chinatown and snack away!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Walk the High Line, take the Gondola over to Roosevelt Island

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    .. hand the kids $50 and let them go nuts at the Chelsea Market ...
    That would be my pick - so many great places to eat!!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

In terms of where to stay, with such a short time window, I'd stay in the city Saturday night. Otherwise you spend a lot of time getting back and forth.
    Depending on how your car rental works, I'd either leave the car at the White Plains train station while you go into the city and back, since it's pretty convenient to both Poughkeepsie and Danbury, or return the car there and pick up a new one. Get a hotel in Danbury or Waterbury on Sunday night so you're headed in the right direction.
    (I lived in CT for 10 years and did lots of weekends in the city with various hacks to make it more cost-effective)