Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Full disclosure - I 99% of what I read is romance - and I read a TON of them -124 books so far this year. Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Susan Mallory, Jill Mansell are all romance writers IMO. But, their plots are great and they focus a ton on the relationship not only of the H/h but also the other characters around them. Another great writer in a similar way is Jill Shalvis. (she is my favorite) Her Wildstone series was amazing.

Good luck on finding something that makes you happy!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Does this exist: romance novels minus the romance?

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    I agree I think you'd like Susan Elizabeth Phillips. I have mostly outgrown her writing (haha I used to sneak romance novels from my mom as a tween so I've been reading her forever) but she has a lot of more mature characters especially her more recent stuff. She is with a major publisher so should be widely available at the library.

Emma Chase is another good one.

My favorite for unique and interesting story lines is Aly Martinez, she's on Kindle Unlimited, all of her stories are great but they are more 'romance-y' but with more angst than the others mentioned.
    Really? Which books of hers haven’t you read? All of the Chicago Stars ones are good; although the last one was hard to start, but once I got into it was pretty good. I have also read all of Denton, Texas series. I couldn’t get into Heroes are My Weakness, and I still have yet to read Dance Away with Me. Fancy Pants is a must read if you haven’t read it already.

Emma Chase is good too, but definitely more sexy imho than some. Not sure if she has written anything new in a while though ; or my library just doesn’t stock it online.

Thanks for the Aly Martinez recommendation.

I also really like Whitney G’s books: some not all of them. On a Tuesday, and On a Wednesday are two of my favorites. They are college aged/contemporary romance books centered around sports, but so good.

Elle Kennedy’s The Deal series, and Briar U books are good as well if you like sports and romance.

Also Rachel Gibson’s Chinooks hockey team books are good as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-02-2022 at 10:13 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Really? Which books of hers haven’t you read? All of the Chicago Stars ones are good; although the last one was hard to start, but once I got into it was pretty good. I have also read all of Denton, Texas series. I couldn’t get into Heroes are My Weakness, and I still have yet to read Dance Away with Me. Fancy Pants is a must read if you haven’t read it already.

Emma Chase is good too, but definitely more sexy imho than some. Not sure if she has written anything new in a while though ; or my library just doesn’t stock it online.

Thanks for the Aly Martinez recommendation.

I also really like Whitney G’s books: some not all of them. On a Tuesday, and On a Wednesday are two of my favorites. They are college aged/contemporary romance books centered around sports, but so good.

Elle Kennedy’s The Deal series, and Briar U books are good as well if you like sports and romance.

Also Rachel Gibson’s Chinooks hockey team books are good as well.

The only one of hers I didn't read was The Great Escape or whatever. I just wasn't a fan of the characters that much in the first place and then the premise. Most of them I have read. My favorite from my tween years was Kiss an Angel. (I mean I still have re read it many times as an adult and still like it though it's been a long time.) My all time favorites of her were the matchmaker one and This Heart of Mine (even though by today's standards it has a technical sexual assault scene, in the 90s it seemed ok and I love the rest of the story too much to hold a grudge.) Her latest ones Dance Away with Me and First Star I see Tonight or something like that were more like chick lit to me than romance.

Lucy Score is another great author that reminds me of old school SEP writing but more contemporary these days, I've only read one but see her recommended a ton and mean to delve into her backlist soon.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    The only one of hers I didn't read was The Great Escape or whatever. I just wasn't a fan of the characters that much in the first place and then the premise. Most of them I have read. My favorite from my tween years was Kiss an Angel. (I mean I still have re read it many times as an adult and still like it though it's been a long time.) My all time favorites of her were the matchmaker one and This Heart of Mine (even though by today's standards it has a technical sexual assault scene, in the 90s it seemed ok and I love the rest of the story too much to hold a grudge.) Her latest ones Dance Away with Me and First Star I see Tonight or something like that were more like chick lit to me than romance.

Lucy Score is another great author that reminds me of old school SEP writing but more contemporary these days, I've only read one but see her recommended a ton and mean to delve into her backlist soon.
    It took me years to read The Great Escape but it was way better than I thought it would be. Yes I hear you on This Heart of Mine. I couldn’t get into Kiss an Angel either (I knew there was one I was forgetting….didn’t fall for the whole traveling circus act).

I am 50/50 on Lucy Score. By A Thread, The Worst Best Man, and Mr. Fixer Upper are my top 3. I couldn’t get into her last book because of the name of the little girl Waylay drove me bonkers. Otherwise the book has gotten really good reviews.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    It took me years to read The Great Escape but it was way better than I thought it would be. Yes I hear you on This Heart of Mine. I couldn’t get into Kiss an Angel either (I knew there was one I was forgetting….didn’t fall for the whole traveling circus act).

I am 50/50 on Lucy Score. By A Thread, The Worst Best Man, and Mr. Fixer Upper are my top 3. I couldn’t get into her last book because of the name of the little girl Waylay drove me bonkers. Otherwise the book has gotten really good reviews.

I think that's the one I read... I will have to check out your top 3.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Jayne Ann Krentz writes romance but it’s not overly romance-y if that makes sense. They’re generally mysteries, with a romance subplot. When she writes as Amanda Quick it’s more of a traditional romance novel.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Default Does this exist: romance novels minus the romance?

I just finished Elizabeth O’Roark’s Devil in the Deep Blue Sea book which is really good. It turns out it is the second book in the series but is a stand alone. I usually don’t read the same author back to back but I could almost do it with this one. Lots of character development and a bit of a slow burn.

I also really liked Tessa Bailey’s To Hard to Forget. It is definitely on the spicy level of romance but the characters are great and pretty likable.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-16-2022 at 12:32 AM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

I totally agree with Lessons in Chemistry. It was fantastic. It reminded me of Where’d You go Bernadette, which also isn’t a romance. But as a mom who often feels out of place, I was able to really connect with both main characters. Neither was fluff, but both were funny and had great messages.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Agatha Christie? Hercule Poirot or Ms Marples. There are elements of young romance but much more viewpoints from a middle age perspective.

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You might really enjoy the cozy mystery genre. There are lots of really enjoyable series that do a good job of building the worlds for their protagonists. I like Barbara Ross' Maine Clambake mysteries, Leslie Meyer is fun because her series is really, really long and you get to see the lead character literally go through her whole life as her kids grow up, etc.

Someone upthread recommended Susan Mallery, and I agree. They're fun. Also Elin Hilderbrand if you can stand reading about very wealthy people. Jennifer Weiner is good, too.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast