Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Does this exist: romance novels minus the romance?

Weird question, I know.

Short version: is there a genre of books that are fun, easy reads without a focus on romance? Specific titles or authors welcome, too.

Background: until about 18 months ago, I pretty much just read nonfiction. Stacks and stacks of nonfiction. Very occasionally, I'd read a novel but much more often, I'd start to read a novel and never make it through. I guess I'm very picky and have no patience for mediocre writing? Not sure, really. After making it through the first pandemic holiday season, which was extra stressful at our house bc all our kids had been struggling with online school for one reason or another and our oldest was in the throes of a full-blown mental health crisis, I watched Bridgerton and then read some of the books. That was the first purely fun & just for me thing I'd done in a very long time. Then I watched and read Virgin River. Then I realized there's actually a whole universe of romance novels out there. And just kept reading those. I really couldn't tolerate anything but romance novels for a good long time (8 months at least). I needed fun and easy and a bit exciting and most of all, I needed a happy ending. For the past several months, I've been able to tolerate more of a variety of books again, but still frequently really want those easy happy books. And yet, I'm bored with romance being the goal in life and driving force of the plot. I just don't relate to that at this stage of life (married 27 yrs). Are there books with a similar feel that have middle aged women finding great friends and community and purpose and joy and experiencing personal growth? Because that sounds ideal. Some authors I've enjoyed have been Emily Henry, Robyn Carr and Kristin Higgins.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just looking through my history and almost all of my books have love stories in them. The ones you mention are really soapy (fun, but soapy!). Would you be ok with spme romance books if they had love stories but a bit fuller in other ways too?

Non romance that I thought was good- Invisible Ellen by Shari Shattuck

When you are up for more romances, try Abby Jimenez; she's one of my new favorites along with Jasmine Guilory
    Mark Kay Andrews Savannah Blues is a fun romance+ mystery (more mystery than romance)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Just looking through my history and almost all of my books have love stories in them. The ones you mention are really soapy (fun, but soapy!). Would you be ok with spme romance books if they had love stories but a bit fuller in other ways too?

Non romance that I thought was good- Invisible Ellen by Shari Shattuck

When you are up for more romances, try Abby Jimenez; she's one of my new favorites along with Jasmine Guilory
    Mark Kay Andrews Savannah Blues is a fun romance+ mystery (more mystery than romance)
    I am definitely up for stories with a romance element that are fuller stories. I'm just tired of the ones where romance is the only real thing, and the other elements that are included seem thin and boring, like the writer didn't really put any effort into those parts, I guess? I don't know what soapy means - like a soap opera? Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check them out.

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You might like the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series. There’s a little romance but it is not the focus of the story. Middle aged woman in Botswana opens her own detective agency and has to figure out how to keep it solvent. There are the mystery components which can be a touch dark, but overall the series has warmth, humor, and wonderful character development.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by RedSuedeShoes View Post
    I am definitely up for stories with a romance element that are fuller stories. I'm just tired of the ones where romance is the only real thing, and the other elements that are included seem thin and boring, like the writer didn't really put any effort into those parts, I guess? I don't know what soapy means - like a soap opera? Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check them out.
    I was hooked on a series early on in the pandemic that was a lot like Virgin River ( https://foolsgoldca.susanmallery.com/ )- like a soap opera where the love is a bit over the top and some pretty incredible events transpire to move the story; above and beyond what happens in most of our real lives.

Check out the authors I listed. I would add Emily Giffin (I really liked her newest, meant to Be, and Something Borrowed and Something Blue are 2 that I have a positive memory of). I like both Beth O'Leary and Beth Kendrick too. Sophie Kinsella books are just fun. I really liked Emily Henry too.

I like the No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series too.

I recommend "Eat Cake" by Jeanne Ray. Her other books are good too.

Authors: I’ve read more than one of their books that fit your description
    Elinor Lipman
    Nell Freudenberger
    Catherine Center
    Elizabeth Berg
    Joshilyn Jackson

Books
    The Reminders by Val Emmich
    Funny You Should Ask by Elissa Sussman (some romance, more self discovery)
    Every Summer After by Carly Fortune (some romance, more coming of age)
    Tracy Flick Can’t Win by Tom Perrotta
    Out of the Clear Blue Sky Kristan Higgins
    Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Does this exist: romance novels minus the romance?

Susan Elizabeth Phillips books have romance but a ton of story to them. Same with Suzanne Brockmann’s Troubleshooters series (the Tall, Dark, and Dangerous series is good but much lighter than the Troubleshooters series). I read Robyn Carr’s Thunder Point series and that is good as well (although it did feel a little too formulatic by the end). I have yet to read the Virgin River books. Really early Danielle Steel books are very good (although I stopped reading her new books around 2002); same with Nora Roberts early stuff (IE: pre maybe 2010, but some of my faves are from the early to mid 90s). Richard North Patterson also writes some good thrillers with a little romance; Degree of Guilt was made into a TV movie in the mid 90s. Jasmine Guillory, Lauren Layne, and Christina Lauren are also good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I like Janet Evanovich and Joann Fluke books. They have a fun mystery vibe and then there’s a bit of romance, but not the hot steamy sex type of romance.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think what you are looking for are non-romantic beach reads. I googled and found a few lists - looks like a lot of options out there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast