Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Unless your family are super particular about their stuff, I'd pack one full sized version of whatever toiletries you are packing (toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, shower gel, shaving cream, etc.) because that is easier to keep track of and pack/unpack than tiny bottles * 6. Then just have them bring their own things that aren't shared like toothbrush, razor, deodorant, etc.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599 View Post
    We did a 14 hour road trip last summer and it was a different hotel each night except for the middle of the trip, where we where in the same hotel for 2-3 nights.
    I packed all of us in one bag for the first few nights; another bag for the middle hotel...and then another for the end of the trip.
    Stuff we needed for all aspects - chargers, swim gear, toiletries...were in one central bag. This way into each hotel stay was the main bag plus the extra's. It worked out really well. and trying to put each person's outfits into a ziplock so you're not tearing through a suitcase!
    I did used to have an electronics bag back before I made everyone use their own backpacks. That worked well. I had a master toiletry bag too. Things evolved over time. That electronics bag was handy because I like when things have names- "where is the X bag" saves time describing it!

I always used to do the kids clothes by day in a ziplock and labeled it. I had a ziplock of extra socks and undies too. That really helped!! Both now love packing cubes and use those. I used them in Europe for socks and undies but not my bigger stuff. I like to layer my suitcase by outfit too. I put a full outfit together for Monday and one for Tuesday,... and stack them on top of each other. I always put pjs at the top of the stack since that's the first thing I'll need when we get to the hotel.

A bang for laundry is a must.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Tip I learned on here when getting ready for Europe- don't be afraid to use a drop off laundry service! If you don't want to be stuck hanging around the hotel doing laundry, accept the cost as a value add to your trip and just drop off at a laundry center to be washed and folded. I actually didn't wind up needing one because day 5 lodging was just chilling at a vacation house with laundry facilities. It was easy to do it but I did have laundry facilities picked out throughout the trip if we needed them. Laundry pods work well too- detergent sheets aren't as readily available at big box or grocery stores. They sell small packs in the travel section a lot of times too if you don't like them for home.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Remember bug spray, sunscreen, caps/hats, water shoes, swim suits, hydrocortisone, alcohol prep pads, band aids, antibiotic ointment, Tylenol, Benadryl, aquaphor, tums.
    Yes to the big bag to hold dirty/damp laundry.
    Clothes pins for chip clips. Sound machine. Ziploc bags of various sizes. Baby wipes for hands and cleaning in the car.

I too pack my kids clothes in batches of outfits for camp and then place those inside ziploc bags or reuse grocery sacks.
    K

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

One laundry bag for everyone, a backpack and small suitcase for each person. Do laundry at the half-way point (preferrably at the hotel that you are staying at for two nights). Pack various size zip lock bags for ice in the cooler, wet clothes, ect. Clothes go in suitcase, car stuff (electronics, toys, ect) in the backpack...

HAVE FUN and try not to overthink the packing...

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

A word of caution. Times are tough, and theft is scary high. I would not plan on leaving anything in vehicles overnight! So, our usual bag-per-night packing is kind of a waste of time if all the bags have to come in anyway. We do have a bag that's just munchies, and a half-size cooler for drinks. Bring extra empty trash bags, always useful. Clorox wipes or similar for hotel rooms, Covid is still out there.
    I have brought frozen prepped meals and put it in a crockpot in a hotel room to cook for later; but if you're skipping from hotel to hotel that won't work. We do bring a bag with a stack of bowls and a pyrex measure cup, and do instant oatmeal in the mornings. Cheap and easy, and helps with "traveler's constipation" we get from the change in diet and too much time sitting in the car.
    Also, we don't bring any clothes that can't be washed and dried, it's just too much to try to keep track of. One laundry bag, into the washer. Also, no clothes that we would be heartbroken to loose/get stained. Something seems to happen on every trip to rip/stain/spill something!

I'm sure different approaches work for different people. I've never packed a separate bag for hotel overnights to avoid taking in luggage. It seems simpler for our family to keep our individual things together. Each person packs clothing in their bag/suitcase and I carry a family toiletry bag with all the basics and everyone's toothbrushes. I do like to pack in outfits and tend to roll them (top, bottoms, unders and socks) together, secured with a rubber band. Take a large communal laundry bag. For snacks each kid gets a labeled gallon ziplock bag at the beginning with their assortment for the first day. It's great because all trash can be placed right back into their bags to be emptied and replenished in the evenings. I carry the bulk snacks. I don't tend to pack meal food if we are staying in multiple hotels, other than breakfast. My kids are restless and don't do well hanging out in hotel rooms so we try to spend a limited amount of time there and eat in restaurants or outdoors. For breakfast, healthy muffins or baked oatmeal work well earlier in the trip. We do cereal and milk with fresh fruit if there's a grocery store nearby.

Hope you all have an amazing trip!
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Road trip hacks?

We had a road trip last year where I took the electric griddle. We had space for our large hard sided cooler so I had eggs, bacon, frozen breakfast burritos that I made, cream cheese etc. then I had bag of bagels, bread, pancake mix etc. But we were driving to one stop and had full fridge for a few days before left for next stop. We ate breakfast in and then lunch/dinner out. On other trips when we can’t take food easily, we tend to eat a big breakfast, snack then an earlier dinner, so only 2 restaurant meals a day

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 08-02-2022 at 08:17 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Make footrests for the kids/use the space below their feet with things like a duffle bag, it is more comfortable to have you feet on something and space will be a premium. Like others said, keep swim stuff/wet gear separate. Pack thin towels so they dry easily. Put baby wipes in baggies and put them in all the seat back pockets.

One meal item we have done on trips and camping is cup of noodle type soups, but more variety. One child is vegetarian so it helps to have a few extra meals she will eat.
    Sierra

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast