Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I haven't even looked at the most recent CDC guidelines but like PP mentioned - the CDC guidelines are most definitely trying to strike that balance and not aiming for "ideal".

My common sense approach would be to isolate until you feel better, and then IF you have sufficient tests available, test before leaving isolation. If positive, wear the best mask possible if you need to run essential errands (and run those errands as efficiently as possible) but avoid anything non-essential until testing negative.

If you don't have a supply of tests and need to leave isolation for essentials (groceries, medications, etc), wear the best mask you have and try to complete your errands quickly and efficiently. I personally know someone who tested positive for 11 days since first symptoms began so it can take that long. I would avoid non-essential activities if at all possible until day 10. Before that, best mask possible!

Personally, I would not feel right sending a kid to school if I knew she was potentially positive so I would test your DD before return to school BUT I'm saying this from my privileged perspective that I could keep a kid home until testing negative to avoid potentially infecting a kid who may not have parents who can keep him/her home if she got sick.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Quarantine is for the exposed.
    Isolation is for those that are positive.

CDC guidelines is that you can leave isolation after day 5 (so on day 6) if you either have no symptoms or symptoms are improving without fever. Once you leave isolation you are to wear a well fitting mask (so N95, KN95, or Kf94) around all people through day 10. No negative test is needed at any point.

CDC has a great calculator now to determine when and how to either quarantine (if unvaccinated) or isolate, based on your dates and symptoms. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...isolation.html

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    This is what the pediatrician told me when DC tested positive and was sent home from camp. HOWEVER, to return to the camp, they need a negative Covid test. DC isolated like a champ until day 4 3/4 when we realized just how much it was affecting their mental health. So, they came out of quarantine on day 5 and rejoined the family. They declared masking at home impossible (they are right), so they are masking out, but not at home. It's a risk, but what is necessary for their stability and our family. Time will tell if we all get it or not.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Agree that by CDC you can leave isolation on day 6 if symptoms have improved and no fever for at least 24hr unmedicated.

As for school, I'd look into what your school's rules are about when they can return. I would want to know what the plan is for lunch...days 6-10 you shouldn't be around other people unmasked so that makes eating lunch in a cafeteria out of the question.
    In our district, positive for covid gets you 5 days at home. Period. No further test required. No mask required days 6-10 - suggested but not required. No quarentine for the vaccinated even though there are many many breakthrough cases. Guess where I likely got covid? for sure I was still glaringly positive day 8 - test line came in before control line. I'm tempted to test again just to see.

We did nothing at home. dd2 had it and none of us caught it. dh probably got it from me. dd1 was coughing/sneezing before me and tested negative 2x. I'm not testing her again until Fri before we hopefully leave. IF any of us are positive, we'll delay the trip.

I think MANY people do not test b/c if they tested, they'd know they were positive and would have to stay home.
    Last edited by doberbrat; 08-03-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    This is what the pediatrician told me when DC tested positive and was sent home from camp. HOWEVER, to return to the camp, they need a negative Covid test. DC isolated like a champ until day 4 3/4 when we realized just how much it was affecting their mental health. So, they came out of quarantine on day 5 and rejoined the family. They declared masking at home impossible (they are right), so they are masking out, but not at home. It's a risk, but what is necessary for their stability and our family. Time will tell if we all get it or not.
    DS2 was only in isolation for one day after testing positive. He just couldn’t take being isolated. We too decided as a family that his well being was worth the risk of someone else testing positive. We ran air purifiers around the clock and had one that would we would move around the house to follow where DS2 was hanging out. No one else caught Covid during his isolation.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Covid testing to get out of quarantine? Is that still required? (Long…..sorry)

Thank you all so much for the input.

Last night DH and DD2 watched a few movies in the living room masked. Dh sat on one couch and DD2 on the other at the opposite end so they were way more than 6 ft. from each other. I told DD2 she needs to leave her mask on at all times and she said she knew; she has been wearing it in her bedroom as well because she is so used to it. I am now back at work and I am masking and dh is in his office space about 15 feet away. It is what is for the next week.

I will check with DD1’s school about returning to school if she is still positive but asymptomatic. The thing is she is fully vaccinated and boosted. Yes I could totally afford to keep her home until a negative test is obtained, but is that right for her? Imho non especially if it has the potential to last weeks and weeks as reports have stated. She was a close contact at least three times last year and didn’t catch it until now. She says she believes that the bulk of the kids at her school aren’t vaccinated; her bff even had a fake vaccine card (which surprised us both TBH). Last year a ton of students still wore masks even though they weren’t required. It is a Catholic high school and based on what I have seen on social media from elementary school aged parents (from DD2’s school which feeds into the high school) many parents are anti vaccine for their kids. We made the choice to be vaccinated because it was the right thing to do (and the fact that we have elderly family members we are on a regular basis).

Also I read the WaPo article and maybe it is my non scientific mind reading things but that was the flip flopping I was talking about. The way I read it there was no defined yes or no about what to do. Kind of irritating, but I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-03-2022 at 01:17 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Thank you all so much for the input.

Last night DH and DD2 watched a few movies in the living room masked. Dh sat on one couch and DD2 on the other at the opposite end so they were way more than 6 ft. from each other. I told DD2 she needs to leave her mask on at all times and she said she knew; she has been wearing it in her bedroom as well because she is so used to it. I am now back at work and I am masking and dh is in his office space about 15 feet away. It is what is for the next week.

I will check with DD1’s school about returning to school if she is still positive but asymptomatic. The thing is she is fully vaccinated and boosted. Yes I could totally afford to keep her home until a negative test is obtained, but is that right for her? Imho non especially if it has the potential to last weeks and weeks as reports have stated. She was a close contact at least three times last year and didn’t catch it until now. She says she believes that the bulk of the kids at her school aren’t vaccinated; her bff even had a fake vaccine card (which surprised us both TBH). Last year a ton of students still wore masks even though they weren’t required. It is a Catholic high school and based on what I have seen on social media from elementary school aged parents (from DD2’s school which feeds into the high school) many parents are anti vaccine for their kids. We made the choice to be vaccinated because it was the right thing to do (and the fact that we have elderly family members we are on a regular basis).

Also I read the WaPo article and maybe it is my non scientific mind reading things but that was the flip flopping I was talking about. The way I read it there was no defined yes or no about what to do. Kind of irritating, but I get it.

My kids camp said they couldn't come back without a negative test. Of course, they also expect the kids to complete the "classwork" virtually. This has caused all sorts of confusion. Especially since the first few cases isolated at camp until they ran out of room. DC was one of the first sent home and, honestly, thought the camp had kicked them out. Then couldn't understand why they were expected to do the "work" part. It didn't help that they were isolating, depressed, and SICK with Covid!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I will say that with DH having covid right now he is isolating from me until he tests negative. Today is his day 6 which means he can leave isolation with a mask, but we are meant to leave for Cancun on Saturday and I can't risk getting covid from him. So we will continue sleeping separately until we leave and he will stay in his office like he has been for the past 6 days. He still had a blaring positive that came up instantly yesterday morning, despite having no more symptoms besides mild congestion. DS2 had covid a month ago, so DS1 and I are the last ones standing.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    In our district, positive for covid gets you 5 days at home. Period. No further test required. No mask required days 6-10 - suggested but not required. No quarentine for the vaccinated even though there are many many breakthrough cases.
    Oh wow! I live in a very red county that wants no protocols but NY state still requires schools to follow CDC. I'm pretty sure my kids' cafeteria has a separate table for those who are coming back to school but still within days 6-10.

I still tested pos on day 10 and didn't have symptoms after day 2 (this was in April so 2nd omicron variant, not current BA4 or BA5 which seems more contagious and causes more symptoms even in vaxed folks). I didn't continue to test because I didn't need a negative test for work or travel.

Unfortunately the booster isn't much help lately. I have a friend who just tested positive and was boosted 12days before his exposure. Booster not only didn't prevent the infection but he's been sick as a dog too so it didn't help lessen illness.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Covid testing to get out of isolation? Is that still required? (Long…..sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I will say that with DH having covid right now he is isolating from me until he tests negative. Today is his day 6 which means he can leave isolation with a mask, but we are meant to leave for Cancun on Saturday and I can't risk getting covid from him. So we will continue sleeping separately until we leave and he will stay in his office like he has been for the past 6 days. He still had a blaring positive that came up instantly yesterday morning, despite having no more symptoms besides mild congestion. DS2 had covid a month ago, so DS1 and I are the last ones standing.

Yes I don’t plan on letting DH back into our room until I test negative, which I think I will wait at least 10 days, if not 14 (just to be safe). He doesn’t need to get Covid twice in 7 months. I hope you all get to go on your trip on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    ……

Unfortunately the booster isn't much help lately. I have a friend who just tested positive and was boosted 12days before his exposure. Booster not only didn't prevent the infection but he's been sick as a dog too so it didn't help lessen illness.
    We know someone who had their second booster on Wednesday and was still having what she thought we side effects on Friday and then by Saturday night had tested positive for Covid. She got Paxlovid and she says thinks it is working but still feels awful. She says it is the sickest she has ever been.

My parents got their second boosters back in May or June and so far they are okay.

Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I will check with DD1’s school about returning to school if she is still positive but asymptomatic. The thing is she is fully vaccinated and boosted. Yes I could totally afford to keep her home until a negative test is obtained, but is that right for her? Imho non especially if it has the potential to last weeks and weeks as reports have stated.
    I'm with you on this! BUT it's much more likely she she would clear the virus and be negative around or before the 10 day mark than to continue testing positive for weeks, and I was basing my thoughts on that. I can't imagine keeping any kid home for weeks who felt well enough to be at school.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast