Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default College umbrella?

I need to find an umbrella for DD to take to college. We bought one that I thought would work, but it’s not very tall when expanded and it doesn’t look like it’ll provide much protection for a backpack.

So, best backpack for college campus? Ideally something that can retract into a fairly compact size, if that even exists

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We love the Repel travel umbrella per wirecutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I bought a large umbrella from the campus store years ago. I always just put it under the desk (as did everyone else when it rained.) Of course we didn’t have to worry about taking laptops or iPads to class and keeping them dry, but imho (as old school as it maybe) I would leave the electronics in the dorm on super rainy days now and just take paper notes, which could get wet in a downpour, but at least won’t get damaged in the rain like electronics in a soaking wet backpack.

We are currently happy with the Totes umbrellas we have gotten at Target. They aren’t the mini ones, but still fit in a backpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD has the auto open and close one from Costco. I can’t remember what brand it is but I don’t see it on their website. We also have many auto open and close umbrellas by totes that work fine!

Not sure if you are aware that there are water resistant and waterproof backpacks. DS has one by Patagonia and he thinks it’s great. Much less stressful to get caught in the rain on campus when your backpack is water resistant.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We bought DS a water resistant backback and a rain jacket big enough to go over his backpack.

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD just bought a cheaper one that fits into the side pocket of her North Face backpack. She didn't want to spend a lot, as umbrella's are something that get lost easily. I'm pretty sure her backpack is pretty water resistant, but not too heavy either, as she's not very big.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Oh how I loved having an umbrella from the campus store! It matched everyone else's and made me feel great for years after college.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The thing I remembered about umbrellas in college is how the wind always destroyed them. I went through at least 5 before i gave up. Now if wind in your area isn't a problem, then an umbrella is a good solution to deal with rain. Otherwise, I HIGHTLY recommend a rain jacket like this: https://www.nordstrom.com/s/joules-r...ults&color=477 My dd and I both have one and it's really convenient how it packs away in its own pocket. It's very waterrproof. I actually tested in out in the shower when deciding whether or not to buy it. It makes a great windbreaker too.

When i first purchased mine Nordstrom offered like 10 different colors and patterns so maybe if you do a search your dd will find something she likes.

A rain poncho is a good solution for covering her and her backpack. https://www.galeton.com/charles-rive...77404345933768
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 08-04-2022 at 02:05 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We are sending DC with a simple folding umbrella and a raincoat. However, I might also add a poncho. When I went to elementary school in a VERY RAINY climate, we all just put on jackets and our backpacks and then added a poncho as the final layer; they kept us and our backpacks fairly dry (if we avoided the puddles, which we NEVER did )

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What state is her college in? I know in the Pacific Northwest only tourists use umbrellas so DS1 only has a really good rain jacket. He has a rainshell for his backpack but has never used it. He says his LL Bean packpack is waterproof enough.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast