bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Does this sound fishy to you? Glasses prescription change…

DS2 has been complaining that his glasses are bothering him so we signed him up for an eye exam. We got the prescription but DH noticed that his astigmatism flip flopped. Meaning, 1 year ago he had trouble with his right eye. This time it’s his left! I called the office of the doctor and they said this is not unusual?? And that “if the glasses we order don’t work he can be examined again” which sounds like a lot of expense!

Has anyone seen this?

For reference he went from right eye -.25, axis 177, right eye no astigmatism to left eye -.25, axis 165. I have idea what this means!

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am probably the not the right person to ask because my experience with DD2 is quite different than most, but yes in our experience eye sight can change even in a year’s time. How old is your DS?

Dd2 has been wearing glasses for 10 years. Her initial prescription at 2 was a -3.50 in one eye and a +1.75 in the other. At three our optometrist referred her to the optometry college (now in Anaheim) and her left eye had moved to a +2.50 and her right eye stayed at a -3.50. The tests at the eye institute were about 2 hours long but imho perfect for what you need for a small child. She went there on a yearly basis until she was 9. By 5 she was a -7.00 and a +5. By 9 or 10 we thought it had evened out and not much had changed and she was stable at -9, but then her right eye at just shy of 11 was a -12, and the left eye was a +6. Her right eye now at 12 is a -14. I know this probably isn’t helpful but if you can get a second opinion I would or just really chat with the doctor and find out what is going on. I would recommend the optometry college, but Anaheim is a bit of a drive for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

That -.25 is barely an astigmatism. I’m surprised they even put it into his prescription. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he went from 0 to -.25 or -.25 to 0. I wouldn’t worry about it at all. DS went one year from +1.75 to none. The axis is just a measure of where on the eye the shape is distorted so the number there either exists if there is an astigmatism or won’t be listed for no astigmatism.

ETA: what is his actual prescription and did that change?
    Last edited by Snow mom; 08-03-2022 at 10:35 PM.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

As kids grow, their eyesight can change. Heck as an adult, I’ve never had same prescription from one year to the next

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    That -.25 is barely an astigmatism. I’m surprised they even put it into his prescription. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he went from 0 to -.25 or -.25 to 0. I wouldn’t worry about it at all. DS went one year from +1.75 to none. The axis is just a measure of where on the eye the shape is distorted so the number there either exists if there is an astigmatism or won’t be listed for no astigmatism.

ETA: what is his actual prescription and did that change?
    That's essentially what the optometrist said. I just hadn't heard that before. The "large" number seemed significant. But if it only applies to the location then that makes more sense.

Before right was 3.75 and now it is 4.00 and left was 3.25 and now it is 3.5. So it has only slightly changed. The optometrist said that the change wasn't significant to necessarily warrant new glasses but updated it regardless and let us choose whether to order.

Thank you for clarifying!

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    That's essentially what the optometrist said. I just hadn't heard that before. The "large" number seemed significant. But if it only applies to the location then that makes more sense.

Before right was 3.75 and now it is 4.00 and left was 3.25 and now it is 3.5. So it has only slightly changed. The optometrist said that the change wasn't significant to necessarily warrant new glasses but updated it regardless and let us choose whether to order.

Thank you for clarifying!
    Yes, I doubt that the glasses are the problem he’s having, although I guess the PD (distance between pupils) could have changed which would have the focal point on his lenses in the wrong place. Otherwise that prescription change, including the change in astigmatism really would be a “if you’re getting new glasses get the new prescription, otherwise continue wearing what you have.”
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The -3.75/4 and -3.25/3.5 change is very common and I would try new glasses. The astyg change is weird to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains