Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nicest way to quit a (new) job...

I accepted two fill in/ "substitute" positions (in healthcare so we call it PRN/ per diem) this summer. The second one was a few weeks after the first one and knew I had accepted job 1 before starting and were okay with having me wait to finish training/orientation at job 1 to start job 2. I thought I could do both since they were both supposed to be just random fill in days and not anything regular.

Job 2 I am on my 4th week of training (of 6 planned weeks "with more possible") and just really it's not a good fit for a variety of reasons. I hate it there and dread going in. So they just told me last week that they would like to extend my training, and then they would like for me to work 1 or 2 days a week regularly. I just said I would see what I can figure out but I wasn't sure I could.

So I worked at job 1 this week on the days I wasn't training at job 2, and they *just* gave me a significant raise that pays me much more than job 2 (market adjustment- there are seriously more job openings in my field than I have ever seen and most have significant bonus offers.) Job 2 actually just in May raised their pay rates to not be so far below everyone else, (I wouldn't have even accepted it at their rates prior to May,) but now it ends up being my lowest paying job and most stressful, so not worth it. Job 2's "May raise"was to actually match the rate everyone else has paid for a few years now. (And the pay rates are very formal and a set amount for everyone in x position with x certifications throughout the system.)

My plan right now is just to basically be honest and say that job 1 just gave me a raise and an offer of regular hours, I can't turn down hours from job 1 to continue training, for much less, at job 2. (I actually have the raise paper in writing and can bring it but not sure if that's appropriate or not..) I will offer to finish the 2 weeks more of training that we had already planned from the beginning, and say that I can do a few more weeks additional but only one day a week (vs. 3 days now) and then after training, I will only be available occasionally as my schedule allows, unlikely the 1 or 2 days a week they were planning to use me. (I only have childcare/want to work 1-2 days a week at this point in my life with 4 kids in activities/a 3 yo/etc.) I can easily pick up another job somewhere else if it became absolutely necessary- seriously I've had an absurd number of job offers the last 4 months without even applying for jobs.

I feel bad about doing this and maybe they will take my offer and I will tough it out for a few more days, but if anyone has other ideas or suggestions, I'd love thoughts.
    Last edited by AngB; 08-03-2022 at 11:02 PM.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Just be honest with them. Tell them you got a better offer from job 1, which is a better fit for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

You don’t owe them anything. I think your plan is more than fair. It was a temp position from the start and you’ve now got something more consistent. End of story. So what works best for you and congrats on the more consistent offer!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Just be honest with them. Tell them you got a better offer from job 1, which is a better fit for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This!!!
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Do you really want to continue with job 2 in any capacity? If so, I think your plan is fine. Just be straightforward with what you want from them. But, if it’s not worth it, I also think it’s okay to tell them you don’t want to continue with training bc you have a better offer.
    Last edited by LBW; 08-04-2022 at 12:54 PM.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Life's too short. If you don't want to be there, don't. Get offer of job 1 in writing, and put in your notice, in writing, to job 2.

Don't feel that you need to give them details - you are not obligated to. I would not even bring up the expanded hours or pay rate at job 1, unless you would consider working more at job 2 if they can raise their offer. But if you don't want to work job 2 anymore, just tell them it's not a good fit, this is your two week's notice, and would they like you to work your two weeks or not?

No is a complete sentence. No thank you is a polite complete sentence. "Job 2 is not a good fit for myself and my family." is more than enough.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think you could help the company you are leaving by letting them know that you originally agreed to do occasional work for them but regular hours are just not possible. I’d also let them know that you are being offered a considerable amount of money to do a similar job elsewhere. It’s not always easy for small businesses to find out what their competition is offering for compensation and benefits so the information coming from you firsthand will be very beneficial.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree that you don’t owe them an explanation but if you want to tell them you got something with more regular hours that’s fine too.

On another note, can I ask what you do? It sounds like there is flexibility and opportunity in your field. I don’t think you are a nurse but maybe I’m wrong! DD is trying to figure out what she wants to do for her career. If you don’t want to post in a public forum please PM me.

Thanks.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

Quote Originally Posted by Twin Mom View Post
    I agree that you don’t owe them an explanation but if you want to tell them you got something with more regular hours that’s fine too.

On another note, can I ask what you do? It sounds like there is flexibility and opportunity in your field. I don’t think you are a nurse but maybe I’m wrong! DD is trying to figure out what she wants to do for her career. If you don’t want to post in a public forum please PM me.

Thanks.
    No problem, I am a sonographer (in ob, I tried radiology but I hate taking call and getting called in at 2am over a gallbladder and ridiculous stuff). It's a good career field to be in right now, a lot of the people who have been in ultrasound since the very first days it existed are retiring and the schooling options are relatively limited (there's only 2 schools in our state) so the jobs right now are plentiful and pay is pretty similar to nurses.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09

Thanks everyone! I went in and explained today and it was fine, mutual parting. They need someone to work more than I am willing to work for them and I think they are going to have an impossible time trying to find someone with experience that is willing to accept that pay rate. While I am relieved and so happy to be away from them, they are also really foolish to only have 1 prn position but that's not my problem. I told them my new hourly wage to hopefully help them be competitive and raise the rates they are paying their own staff (we calculated it and it was a 12% raise.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast