jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Non glare coating on glasses - yes or no?

DS2 needs new glasses. They always ask about scratch resistant coating and non glare coating. Do you usually add these to your kids glasses? TIA

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

How old is he? If he’s close to driving age I’d get it since I find the anti-glare helps when driving at night.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I absolutely hate no-glare coating but unfortunately my insurance requires it so I don't get a choice. If I had a choice to decline I absolutely would.

I find the no-glare coating to cause more issues for very little, if any benefit. Also, be aware that the coating can and does wear off so be careful with how the glasses are cleaned and they can also be destroyed by heat so be careful opening ovens (my husband found out that one the hard way).
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Get the non glare for sure. Glare on glasses doesn’t look great and makes vision more challenging outside.

Signed,

Been Wearing Glasses for 41 Years

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

We get the non-glare always. Just a tip: kids glasses are a bargain at Walmart. They do the poly lenses for the price of standard if the wearer is less than 18. Usually a full pair with the anti-glare costs less there than just the poly lenses would cost anywhere else in town.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

YES, HIGHLY RECOMMEND. Even when our kids were little, we would always get the anti-reflective coating - think of all the photos you take of your kids that the anti-glare coating saves. I mean, just photos alone are a good enough reason for me to get the anti-reflective coating. We get it on everyone's glasses, always have.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 08-04-2022 at 03:22 PM.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thank you to everyone who weighed in! I never know what is needed and what is just padding the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    We get the non-glare always. Just a tip: kids glasses are a bargain at Walmart. They do the poly lenses for the price of standard if the wearer is less than 18. Usually a full pair with the anti-glare costs less there than just the poly lenses would cost anywhere else in town.
    I’ll look at Walmart first!

Globetrotter is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I always get it, mainly for cosmetic reasons. In the past they used to peel off, but lately they don’t. I don’t know if that’s because of improvements in the coatings or because of the type I get.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My kids don’t like the anti glare coating, but have transitions on their glasses. Both dh and I have anti glare on our glasses though. Mine are for reading and DH wears his when he isn’t wearing contacts.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)