SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Looking for a specific CA hotel recommendation

I can't remember how long ago it was and my attempts to search aren't working. Some time ago a poster recommended a hotel that was along the coast in the Cambria/ San Simeon area (maybe? maybe it was a bit farther south?) and I looked it up and wanted to make a note of it for future CA trips. Now I have no clue what it was. I liked where we stayed in San Simeon so I would go back there but this hotel looked even better. I can't remember anything specific about it that is helping jog my memory when I search google maps. So, if you remember what that hotel was or have one in that area you would recommend, please share. This time I will save it in a safe space!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I can't remember how long ago it was and my attempts to search aren't working. Some time ago a poster recommended a hotel that was along the coast in the Cambria/ San Simeon area (maybe? maybe it was a bit farther south?) and I looked it up and wanted to make a note of it for future CA trips. Now I have no clue what it was. I liked where we stayed in San Simeon so I would go back there but this hotel looked even better. I can't remember anything specific about it that is helping jog my memory when I search google maps. So, if you remember what that hotel was or have one in that area you would recommend, please share. This time I will save it in a safe space!
    I don't think I am the poster that you are thinking of but...we stayed at the Firestone Inn on Moonstone beach in Cambria a few years ago. We got a good price. We enjoyed that it was directly across from a nice beach. The hot tub and pool were great at night. The breakfast--eh but at least it was included. Rooms had gas fireplaces which was surprisingly nice at night when we visited (April/Easter break).
    It's essentially a fancied up motel which is what many places in Cambria seem to be.
    DD '06
    DD '14

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Many years ago in 2008 Dh and I stayed at the Moonstone Landing, which is a short walk to the beach. It is nothing super fancy but it had a nice ocean view and was a quick drive to Hearst Castle. The prices are still on par with what it was all those years ago ($259 a night; I think we paid $249). The reviews are still great on Trip Advisor.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo?
    mom to Billy 12/07

Quote Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
    Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo?
    I remember visiting the Madonna Inn as a kid and touring the men’s restroom
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I remember visiting the Madonna Inn as a kid and touring the men’s restroom
    Was it really super nice?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Default Looking for a specific CA hotel recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Was it really super nice?
    It had a large urinal where you peed into a waterfall that was motion activated. I was probably around 10 years old, so very fascinating

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 08-05-2022 at 12:46 AM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

The Madonna Inn scares the crap out of me….I won’t even stay there as an adult. It is just too kitschy and wrong and there is something just mildly claustrophobic about it. I have only seen photos from friends trips and it just is not my cup of tea. I can’t explain it but it it just gives me the heeeby jeebies. It is also a good hour from Cambria/San Simeon.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    The Madonna Inn scares the crap out of me….I won’t even stay there as an adult. It is just too kitschy and wrong and there is something just mildly claustrophobic about it. I have only seen photos from friends trips and it just is not my cup of tea. I can’t explain it but it it just gives me the heeeby jeebies. It is also a good hour from Cambria/San Simeon.
    Ok, I couldn’t resist looking at their website—heeby jeebies indeed! And from the photos, it’s not clear who their target audience might be.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Haha I remember as a kid being fascinated by the stories and photos of my grandparents trips to Madonna Inn, later they would stay at the Apple Farm much more cozy.