Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I was robbed on vacation in Mexico once- we had rented a house and left a window open. They didn't get much, and thankfully also left our passports even though they were in the bag they stole. It's a terrible feeling. And I am the outlier in my family too- they LOVE Costa Rica and we have been a few times, but it's not my favorite. We generally use VRBO, but I think you take a risk any time you rent a house.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbel View Post
    I am so sorry you had a negative experience. We have stayed in numerous VRBOs or rentals through management companies, especially when we have a large group.

Unfortunately, we had numerous items stolen out of our well reviewed hotel room in La Fortuna, Costa Rica (Royal Corin) in June. Management was awful to deal with and falsely claimed our missing items were "found" at our prior hotel (security at that hotel confirmed that was a lie). They also claimed we tried to extort them which was absolutely false. Thus far, we have not received any reimbursement from travel/home insurance although claims are pending. I am still very sad to have lost some nice sentimental jewelry pieces that I should not have brought in hindsight. I had planned to wear them but had not put them back on after a sailing excursion. Digging down into 1 star reviews, there were prior thefts in past although the overall rating was very high. This experience tainted our experience (along with e coli and COVID x2 as an added bonus). Even though the country is beautiful and most of the people were wonderful, we do not plan to return to CR in the future because we felt violated.

Bottom line is there is risk in any environment. I am noticing there are now hybrid type setups that are apartment type set ups run like a hotel. We have one booked for Nashville in November.
    Ageee, I have heard of multiple incidents from friends of thing getting stolen from hotel rooms in less developed countries. I think it is just a risk of international travel, unfortunately.

Sorry to hear it happened to you. Op. As others said, glad they didn’t take passports or other id that would have messed with your return home.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So sorry this happened to you and I do hope you are, at least, able to get a refund. I have never loved airbnbs, primarily because they feel like more responsibility for me as compared to a hotel and I tend to be more concerned I will somehow break something...had been thinking about trying some, as it is a way to get more room/rooms, but will likely still prefer hotels when possible. I do understand that what happened can happen in hotels as well, especially internationally.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe View Post
    So sorry this happened to you and I do hope you are, at least, able to get a refund. I have never loved airbnbs, primarily because they feel like more responsibility for me as compared to a hotel and I tend to be more concerned I will somehow break something...had been thinking about trying some, as it is a way to get more room/rooms, but will likely still prefer hotels when possible. I do understand that what happened can happen in hotels as well, especially internationally.
    OP, I'm so sorry! How scary and frustrating. I can imagine how venerable and alone you felt. Especially with tracking the iPad and it possibly still being in the space when you were there!

I don't love vacation rentals either. It's just low level stressful to me. We really only ever do them when it's multiple families and we need the option to hang out together as part of the vacation (at the lake, etc) vs. the type of trip where we are mainly out and about where hotels are only a place to lay your head at night.

My mom just rented one for a bunch of us for a destination wedding of a family member. I hated seeing her walk around with their little booklet the whole time making sure we were "following all the rules". I hate the cleanup checklist to leave (they seem to be getting increasingly insane - on top of the increasing $$$ cleaning fees).

The outdoor garbage containers were overflowing when we got there, so we were stressed about where our garbage would go. On a higher level, I feel bad for the neighbors that they are probably always looking at the overflowing bins of this residential rental. (We've had the overflowing garbage problem at two previous rentals as well.) We always overbuy groceries and waste so much food that way.

♥ms.pacman♥ thanks for the iilluminaughtii podcast recommendation! I've found quite a few episodes to queue up! Listening to the AirBnB episode now......
    Last edited by khm; 08-08-2022 at 02:35 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    OP, I'm so sorry! How scary and frustrating. I can imagine how venerable and alone you felt. Especially with tracking the iPad and it possibly still being in the space when you were there!

I don't love vacation rentals either. It's just low level stressful to me. We really only ever do them when it's multiple families and we need the option to hang out together as part of the vacation (at the lake, etc) vs. the type of trip where we are mainly out and about where hotels are only a place to lay your head at night.

My mom just rented one for a bunch of us for a destination wedding of a family member. I hated seeing her walk around with their little booklet the whole time making sure we were "following all the rules". I hate the cleanup checklist to leave (they seem to be getting increasingly insane - on top of the increasing $$$ cleaning fees).

The outdoor garbage containers were overflowing when we got there, so we were stressed about where our garbage would go. On a higher level, I feel bad for the neighbors that they are probably always looking at the overflowing bins of this residential rental. (We've had the overflowing garbage problem at two previous rentals as well.) We always overbuy groceries and waste so much food that way.

♥ms.pacman♥ thanks for the iilluminaughtii podcast recommendation! I've found quite a few episodes to queue up! Listening to the AirBnB episode now......
    Youre’ welcome!I actually found her on YouTube, as she’s done lots of anti-MLM stuff. She does a lot of expose-type episodes. The airbnb one was very informative as I didn’t know a lot of things mentioned. One of the good points she mentions is that with all these airbnbs, many neighborhoods are getting really gentrified and it changes the vibe of the neighborhood. Not to mention it drives up housing prices in general, for families etc.

And I get what you mean re:extra responsibilities for airbnb’s/ vrbo ..sometimes the list of chores you have to supposedly do is a little ridiculous. And there is a cleaning fee on top of it!

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

OP so sorry this happened to you!!
    There are so many times when I almost go ahead and book an air BnB and then at the last minute don’t and just do a boring Hilton or Marriott. I am probably missing out on international cultural experiences by not staying at local hotels as well, but give me the overpriced chains because I’m so chicken 🤷🏻*♀️

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4