doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default s/o Trips and testing woes

I was teaching summer school with kids coming in clearly sick. dd1 also had a cold that started around 7/20. I got a very very very faint line that I thought was negative on 7/22. dd1 tested negative on 7/24 so I didnt retest. 7/29 blaring red test line popped up even before the control line showed. dh tested positive dd1 negative.

Now 8/5 I again have a super faint line only visible if you look very carefully. DH hasnt tested yet but based on my test, I'm guessing he's still going to be positive. The wild card is dd1. She was the first to get sick but continued to test negative. I'm going to have her test today again. We're supposed to leave tomorrow night to see elderly family. If we all test negative tomorrow, do we go?
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ooof that's a tough one...is it a simple thing to reschedule the visit? Like, it's an easy drive (not flying for example)? I feel like I'd rather err on the safe side esp with elderly relatives...

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't think I'd go unless I have negative pcr tests, which at this point is probably too late. Can you delay the trip a few days?

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If possible I'd probably try and delay the trip for a week. If not possible and everyone is negative tomorrow then I'd probably make sure both parties wear masks the whole time or only hang out outside.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I would try to reschedule the trip. You will probably be negative tomorrow, but I would hate to take a chance with elderly relatives. If you do go, wear good fitting masks and stay outside.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would not risk it with elderly relatives. False negatives are very real. Dd tested negative continually, but 95% or more chances she had it as others she worked with tested positive and her symptoms were cough, sore throat, and fatigue.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default s/o Trips and testing woes

I would ask the relatives! We have been in numerous very close contact situations where a houseful of people didn’t get Covid. Shared hotel rooms and staying in the same house included without any mitigations. Many older folks are taking a careful approach to covid but are living their lives normally and don’t want to miss out on connections and activities.

ETA: my answer presumes everyone tests negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Kindra178; 08-06-2022 at 08:29 AM.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

delayed update but here it is in case anyone wondered. We delayed our trip and left Sun night and arrived Mon midday. We all tested Sun afternoon before leaving. dd1 had a headache on Mon afternoon and retested and was still negative. My aunt was a little shocked at how often we test.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!