Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Kettle for microwave?

DC is moving into the dorm in another week. The only appliances the university allowed is the micro-fridge you can rent from the university. DC does not care about the microwave and really just needs a way to heat water. They WANT an electric teakettle, which is not allowed. We never heat water in the microwave since we know a few people who have had microwaved liquids explode on them (it has to do with heating the water in layers...).

Is there a "kettle" to put in the microwave to heat water that eliminates the risk of the liquid exploding?

I know there are ways to just add a plastic spoon, ect, but I want something that DC will feel really comfortable with.

Any suggestions?

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    DC is moving into the dorm in another week. The only appliances the university allowed is the micro-fridge you can rent from the university. DC does not care about the microwave and really just needs a way to heat water. They WANT an electric teakettle, which is not allowed. We never heat water in the microwave since we know a few people who have had microwaved liquids explode on them (it has to do with heating the water in layers...).

Is there a "kettle" to put in the microwave to heat water that eliminates the risk of the liquid exploding?

I know there are ways to just add a plastic spoon, ect, but I want something that DC will feel really comfortable with.

Any suggestions?
    My daughter received gift of a microwaveable mug/bowl type thing with a lid that can pour from an older kid who used hers for mac and cheese, noodles, etc.

Hers is ceramic, but there are plastic versions. Search amazon for "microwave soup with lid" or something like that.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've always just used a glass pyrex measure cup, for things like in a hotel or in our RV. But if you don't want to do that, you could try an imersion heater. They're fairly cheap ($12-15) and do a fine job so long as you follow the directions, but they're easy to break if you don't. But breaking means they stop working, not that they explode or anything.

Twin Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS also just used a glass measuring cup in his dorm microwave.
    Mom to b/g twins (g in college, b working)

People show themselves not by what they say but by what they do

Our happiness or our unhappiness depends far more on the way we meet the events of life than on the nature of those events themselves. -- Wilhelm von Humboldt

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Get a Pyrex measuring cup and a big bag of bamboo skewers. The skewer will prevent the explosion factor- it breaks the surface and somehow fixes the problem, according to dh. Been doing it for many years.

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Get a Pyrex measuring cup and a big bag of bamboo skewers. The skewer will prevent the explosion factor- it breaks the surface and somehow fixes the problem, according to dh. Been doing it for many years.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I've always just used a glass pyrex measure cup, for things like in a hotel or in our RV. But if you don't want to do that, you could try an imersion heater. They're fairly cheap ($12-15) and do a fine job so long as you follow the directions, but they're easy to break if you don't. But breaking means they stop working, not that they explode or anything.
    They are not allowed in the dorm...

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    They are not allowed in the dorm...
    For good reason! When I was in college (admittedly in the dark ages), lots of people had immersion heaters. A number of times, the heaters were set down on the wrong surfaces and started a fire.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So, uhm, am I the only one thinking "Get her an electric kettle and tell her to hide it in her closet when she's done using it for the day"? Maybe something like This that doesn't scream TEA KETTLE.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

I would just get the bamboo sticks and heat it in the microwave. I didn't know about the chance of it exploding. I heated it that way for years when I worked in an office that didn't have hot water in the kitchen.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast