MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default How do you handle medical second opinions?

DS is having some knee and hip pain. He's been an orthopedic mess this last couple of years, so this is really nothing new. Most of the issues we've had, we've started with our local orthopedic PA and then ended up at the Sports Med surgeon in a bigger city if surgery was needed. He had a broken hip that we did go to the surgeon to get a second opinion on, and he agreed with the local PA so we just stayed local for treatment. I had an appointment scheduled with the local PA for this knee/hip pain but then he got covid so I scheduled with the surgeon's PA, who then had to reschedule, so we ended up at the local PA first. He thinks DS may need hip surgery due to a possible torn labrum from the break a year ago. We have to wait over a month for the MRI with dye to see if it is torn. Given that, I decided to keep the Sports Med PA appointment since we already had it scheduled in hopes that if he agrees, maybe we can get this test done sooner and get DS an answer so he can get back to sports or have an answer at the very least. So, when you go in for a second opinion do you tell them that? Or just act like you haven't been to a doctor before? I'm pretty sure he can see the Xray in DS's MyChart from our local PA. This is just more complicated than the last time we needed a second opinion (a break was obvious, we were just checking on treatments), so I don't want to walk in and say "The other doctor thinks he has a torn hip labrum and plica issues, etc" because maybe there's something else and I don't want to influence his decision. I'm overthinking this, I know, I just don't want to sway the doctor's opinion unnecessarily but also don't want him to wonder why there are X-rays and an MRI scheduled in a month if he looks at his chart.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Nurse here, absolutely tell them you are there for a second opinion. No one is going to be surprised you get a second opinion for elective surgery on a child. It might not even be they have different diagnosis, but they have a different approach. Some people or a more “wait and see” while some aren’t. Neither is wrong. It’s usually not black and white. It also gives you a change to hone your concerns and tell your story again. It might be they both might suggest the same treatment, but you like person’s A communication style vs person B. That is fine. If you get two radially different opinions that also tells you something. But don’t hide the fact you are getting a second opinion. Good medical professionals are fine with collaboration and a back and forth. We aren’t fine when we feel like patients are holding information back as some kind of test. I am not saying you are doing that, just bring open and expressing your concerns is the best way to go.

Definitely mention that it’s a second opinion. DH is a physician in a specialty where people frequently get second opinions (oncology treatments). a good doctor won’t get offended. Definitely have all the imaging and records sent. DS1’s Endo is out second opinion doctor 2 hours away. My mom’s current oncologist is also a second opinion doctor. She saw him years ago for a second opinion and he confirmed the first oncologist was doing things the way he would. But when doctor #1 retired, she went with second opinion doctor (an hour away but an expert in the field.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Definitely mention that it’s a second opinion. DH is a physician in a specialty where people frequently get second opinions (oncology treatments). a good doctor won’t get offended. Definitely have all the imaging and records sent. DS1’s Endo is out second opinion doctor 2 hours away. My mom’s current oncologist is also a second opinion doctor. She saw him years ago for a second opinion and he confirmed the first oncologist was doing things the way he would. But when doctor #1 retired, she went with second opinion doctor (an hour away but an expert in the field.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Agree. I’m a doctor, I don’t get offended if my patients want a second opinion. I see a decent number of second opinions, it’s always easier if I have all the info, including notes, tests etc from the other doctor.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07