Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Shampoo And Conditioner Bars

Has anyone tried and liked? Hoping to add to my travel bag. I have relatively thin hair but a ton of it. Ty in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ArizonaGirl is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I tried them for a short while and just didn't feel like they got my hair clean, down to the scalp. I have very thick, very coarse hair and only wash 1x per week or it gets super dry. This made it drier and didn't get it clean. But to be fair, I only tried one brand and gave up after about 4 washes.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

About 4 years ago when we were planning a 10 day trip with just carry-on luggage, I wanted to reduce the amount of liquids I needed and decided to try shampoo and conditioner bars. I only tried the Lush brand because I didn't know of any others. I must have tried 3 or 4 bars of both their shampoo and conditioner for a few weeks each to see if I liked any of them. Hopefully they've tweaked their formulas since then because I didn't love either one. I also have a thick head of fine hair and their shampoo bars left my hair feeling like course straw. None of them lathered well. I had to really work the bar to get enough lather and spread it onto my scalp. I liked the conditioner bars better. At least I was able to run a comb through my wet hair after using them. But they weren't great. The convenience of not having to carry shampoo and conditioner bottles around though was nice. Ultimately i asked for more shampoo and conditioner bottles from each the hotels we were at and just carried those around with me until we had to get back on our flights.

I do highly recommend their massage and lotion bars though, for moisturizing. Again, you have to work the bar in your hand to get the product to melt but they smelled great and moisturized well. All of Lush's products smell amazing. And i also highly recommend Lush's tooth tabs as a replacement for toothpaste. It's so easy to carry a tiny container of the toothtabs in stead of a tube of toothpaste and they pack a punch! My teeth felt great after using them.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I never knew about lotion bars! I always run out of lotion. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’ve tried multiple and never found one I really liked. My hair is wavy, a bit frizzy, and varied from really short to long when I tried them out.

To try some, if you have a Lush ask for samples- they were happy to give them in the past. They were among the better bar shampoos for me, but some were ok and others no good, so samples would be a good way to see if you like any of them.

ETA- DH loves most any bar shampoo- but is bald and what hair he has is less than 1/2” long.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have tried many, and the only one I liked (and actually really love) is Hibar.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I used Lush on the regular when I was younger - Soak & Float used to be my go-to wintertime shampoo, Godiva did wonderful things for my hair (but I hate the scent!), and Trichomania was my go-to for travel, with Jungle solid conditioner. I found the solid conditioner challenging to use, so I eventually stopped.

Their instructions say to stroke on your hair directly; I didn't - my hair is thick & wavy, so I wouldn't get enough surfactant in contact with my scalp to clean my hair if I stroked directly, so I would lather in my hands & use the shampoo like I would liquid.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy_Mea View Post
    I have tried many, and the only one I liked (and actually really love) is Hibar.

Is this a subscription service? I went to order the shampoo bar and conditioner bar samplers and a box popped up to check off saying I understood it was a subscription service. After a little digging it doesn’t look easy to cancel the service. I hope I’m wrong. I’d really like to try the bars. Any thoughts?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Is this a subscription service? I went to order the shampoo bar and conditioner bar samplers and a box popped up to check off saying I understood it was a subscription service. After a little digging it doesn’t look easy to cancel the service. I hope I’m wrong. I’d really like to try the bars. Any thoughts?
    I buy it from a local store, she has fairly low threshold for free shipping. Hibar also does sampler packs to try their different products:
    https://www.unpackedliving.com/search?q=hibar

DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011