Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Isn’t there an app for all of that now?
    Yes, but you can't use a phone app on a test.

For Algebra 1, I would be surprised if a graphing calculator was allowed. Most here only allow a basic calculator for Algebra or Geometry. The graphing functions don't come into play until Algebra 2 or Precalc. None of mine have needed a graphing calculator until Calculus. They used a computer or phone app for homework assignments to understand concepts, but didn't use them on tests.

ETA:. Also cannot use phones/computer apps on the SAT or ACT, but you can use a TI-84.
    Last edited by o_mom; 08-14-2022 at 01:19 PM.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Following! DS is in Algebra I and has been asking to get a TI-84. Mainly bc it looks “cool”. Though I don’t know what his teacher prefers or will be using in the classroom. I will have to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by sariana View Post
    Isn’t there an app for all of that now?
    I asked a friend whose daughter is a year older and was taking honors algebra last year whether DD would need a graphing calculator and she said they use desmos on their chromebooks. The kids take a lot of quizzes and exams on their chromebooks already so I guess that makes using the computer for graphing just an extension of that. I remember when I was in high school kids would program all sorts of cheat sheet type stuff into their calculator. And some teachers made you reset the calculator before exams because they knew people cheated in this way. So having a graphing calculator instead of an app doesn’t really prevent cheating.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

A TI-84 got my nephew through his engineering degree (Calc III, Diff EQ, Matrix Theory). That's what my senior is going to college with.

We had an older model TI-84 from eight years ago that was black and white. After borrowing one from a friend, DS1 did decide the color graphing of the TI-84 Plus in color was nice. So I bought him that for his junior year taking Calculus. DS2 is entering Algebra II and we can't locate the original b/w TI-84 so just bought another. Target's price was the same as Amazon at $115 when we ordered last week.

The TI-84 is the "highest" type of calculator you can have for an ACT/SAT/AP exam I think. Being familiar with it helps with taking those exams.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

High Schools do use Desmos and some let kids use cell phone apps. Colleges and SAT/ ACT DO NOT. You cannot have a calculator that can connect to internet or has a camera in college. Kids pay for math apps that solve problems for them using the camera. Most colleges use the TI-84. That is the gold standard. That being said, some kids come in with the Casio or HP and we can all deal with it. I don't see colleges going to apps anytime soon. There is SO MUCH cheating going on, that we just cannot go away from the TI-84. Our college has a lending program on a per semester basis, you put down a deposit and get it back when you return the calculator.

When as student takes a test in Gen Chem or any science class in my department, they leave backpacks at the door, take off hats, can't have tissues, no water bottles, they come to an assigned seat, take the exam, they can have an approved calculator and a pencil. They cannot get up to leave for any reason, need to pee, test is over.

I think the biggest shock for kids right now going from HS to college is the no do-over, one and done policy that colleges have and HS's don't. No getting up, stretching, no breaks etc.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    Following! DS is in Algebra I and has been asking to get a TI-84. Mainly bc it looks “cool”. Though I don’t know what his teacher prefers or will be using in the classroom. I will have to ask.
    When my son was in Algebra I they were using the 84+CE. They had a class set that students could borrow during class. We ended up buying one.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks, I will wait to see what her teacher says when she starts in 1.5 weeks. Hopefully back to school sales will still be available to help save a bit. When Dd1 was ending 7th grade the principal told parents if the student was taking Alg.1 in 8th grade, they recommended getting the TI-84 and that would suffice all the way through HS and on any tests the students take. Her 8th grade teacher modeled to the class how to use both the TI-83 andTI-84. We initially borrowed an ancient 83 from my MIL who used to teach secondary math, but it started not always working. She tried the recommended app but said that was difficult to use, so I ended up finding an 83 Plus for a good price at Walmart and grabbed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the biggest differences between the 83 and 84 are price, processing speed/power, memory. The functionality is very similar, but the 84 is superior/faster while the 83 is cheaper. DS has an 84 and I will be getting the same for DD but the 83 should suffice if budget is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Why not buy the other one on the sale now with the intent to return it if not needed? Keep in the package.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

So, anyone in the Midwest looking for a deal on the TI-84 plus CE... Meijer has a $10 off coupon, 15% off school supplies and a $35 off your next purchase that prints at the register. So... I just paid $81 with tax. You have to have mPerks and stock is low (went to 3 stores to find one in stock).

Hope this helps someone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast