klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Fun with Schools!

DD1 applied & got into the Early College High School in our county and then decided not to go last spring. Yay.

Cue mom calling/emailing everyone from the ECHS & the regular high school trying to make sure there was not problem with her getting switched back to her base high school. A few complaints from the ECHS staff, but everyone agreed that this should be done, no problem.

I randomly checked into Powerschool a couple of weeks ago, and noticed that she wasn't showing up in my list of students. But, I know weird things happen when they're switching from middle to high school, so I didn't really worry much.

That is, until last week, when the principal sends out an email saying that Powerschool is up to date & all courses are entered. Get the email abotu DS's classes, but nothing for DD1. So, emails to everyone again, trying to find out what's happened that she fell off my Powerschool. Try to get her to sign into her school computer, but she can't log in.

Finally hear back from the school Powerschool admin today (her first day back in since all this started). ECHS un-enrolled DD1 from school instead of transferring her. The admin has been ever so helpful this morning and just told me they've almost gotten it all straightened out (they needed an electric bill from me to prove our address), but now, I have to worry that DD1 won't get the classes she's supposed to have this year. (Honors/AP classes.) ARGH!!!!
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Default Fun with Schools!

How frustrating!!!! Hope she gets the courses she wants.

I’m playing a similar game with the middle school who didn’t read DS1’s 504 before making the schedules. He’s supposed to be assigned to the pod with the latest lunch so he will actually eat (meds make him not hungry until later in the day), but instead he’s assigned to the pod with the 10:20am lunch. (I don’t understand how that lunch can work for anyone when school goes until almost 3pm. DS doesn’t get off the bus until after 4. That’s a long time to go without food for any 8th grader.)
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 08-15-2022 at 09:20 AM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    How frustrating!!!! Hope she gets the courses she wants.

I’m playing a similar game with the middle school who didn’t read DS1’s 504 before making the schedules. He’s supposed to be assigned to the pod with the latest lunch so he will actually eat (meds make him not hungry until later in the day), but instead he’s assigned to the pod with the 10:20am lunch. (I don’t understand how that lunch can work for anyone when school goes until almost 3pm. DS doesn’t get off the bus until after 4. That’s a long time to go without food for any 8th grader.)
    Ugh. That lunch time is insane for any kid! But I totally get your issue for your DS who doesn't need to eat until later!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

OP, that is super stressful! I hope she gets the classes she wants! Good thing you followed up!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That's so funny that you mention it! We are having the same problem, in reverse! DS went to virtual school last year from the neighboring distrcit, and now I am getting back to school stuff from both, even though I was very clear which he would attend!

The levels of bureaucracy(sp?) are insanely frustrating!

Years ago my DD went to UPK and in the Spring of that year she was somehow automatically registered for our local school district, even though we were choosing to send her to the Catholic school that DS went to. That took months to sort out and robocalls each day that she had been absent.
    Now DS is going to be starting high school in the local district and when I logged into the parent portal for the first time last night I saw DD's name attached also.

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, she's officially been re-enrolled, but her class schedule right now is a mess. DH is supposed to be getting up with the guidance counselor to have a face to face meeting tomorrow (counselor's first day back on campus for the year), but I also had DD1 submit the change classes forms for three of her 4 classes. She's registered for World History instead of AP World History that she qualified for, and Math 1 even though she took & passed that last year as an 8th grader. I don't think she'll have an issue getting those fixed, but the other class is an elective that she didn't request, and I'm worried that her preferred ones are all gone, which will suck. But, it's also possible that by fixing those other two classes, the line up will change where she has a different elective period and can get into something more her speed.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I hope you got to it early enough for it to all work out.

Don't forget that it's harder to ignore you in person. If you need to make an appt with the counselor/principal, bring your kid and thier school computer, and sit there until they get it right.