bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default OMG Europe Germany/ Switzerland/ Southern France (Maybe Italy?)

DH and I are going to make Europe happen for next spring.

We're planning to leave in the second week of April because that way all 3 of our littler kids are in school (AKA easier for grandparents to keep)

DH's parents are currently living in Southern Germany (on the Swiss border) so we want to have that be our home base for at least part of the trip.

My big idea is to tour Southern Germany/Switzerland for a few days with DH's parents, then take a train through the rest of Switzerland and Italy and end up on the Cote d'Azur (I served a mission in Nice, Cannes and Antibes). DH has always wanted to see where I used to live and it would be a blast to go back there! In any case, the idea is fly into one airport and out of another airport in another country. Anyone ever done this?

What cities/areas would you spend more time in? When we're with DH's parents we'll have a car. When we're in Southern France I have extensive experience in touring without a vehicle, lol. So I don't think we'd need a car. There are a million things between the two locations we could probably do that are amazing. Would love to hear your perspective!

Does this plan seem doable? How many days would you plan to be gone? I'm thinking start in Southern France and go north--since that way it might be warmer at the end of our trip? But the other way around is fine too!

Would love opinions! We've got about 10K to spend and could probably save some more before we leave. We were fortunate that our big trip this year ended up being substantially cheaper than we had anticipated (I still need to write that trip up and plan on doing it soon!)

Thanks in advance!

smilequeen is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’m not an expert by any means but we just did a Germany trip, with a day trip to Strasbourg and a few days in Zurich.

Our path was Frankfurt—-Heidelberg—-Strasbourg——stayed in Baden Baden and toured through the Black Forest—-drove to Zurich with a stop at Hohenzollern Castle in Germany—-last day we went to Schaffhausen Falls and the town and to Stein am Rhine—-drove up past Lake Constance (beautiful) to Augsburg—-hit a few spots on the Romantic Road—-went to a Medievel Festival in Mimmingen (super cute village)—-finished in Munich. We were there 2 weeks.

I can try to give details if anything sounds interesting
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    I’m not an expert by any means but we just did a Germany trip, with a day trip to Strasbourg and a few days in Zurich.

Our path was Frankfurt—-Heidelberg—-Strasbourg——stayed in Baden Baden and toured through the Black Forest—-drove to Zurich with a stop at Hohenzollern Castle in Germany—-last day we went to Schaffhausen Falls and the town and to Stein am Rhine—-drove up past Lake Constance (beautiful) to Augsburg—-hit a few spots on the Romantic Road—-went to a Medievel Festival in Mimmingen (super cute village)—-finished in Munich. We were there 2 weeks.

I can try to give details if anything sounds interesting
    Thanks so much for the reply! I'm looking up those places...they look amazing. Wow, there's just so much to do in the swath I outlined, lol. I think I'm going to need to focus on a few key areas. Southern Germany would be smart since ILs live there (and we can lodge with them!) I do want to somehow connect Southern France but it may be challenging.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I can’t help with any of your locations but we did fly in and out of different cities in Europe. We also flew between destinations as well as took the train. So spoiled by how easy it is to get around!
    We flew different airlines too for our to and from Europe- we went with best price and times. Otherwise I would research “open jaw” flights as they are the alternative to one way flights and sometimes cheaper. Google Flights is great to help with research then book direct with the airline.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I can’t help with any of your locations but we did fly in and out of different cities in Europe. We also flew between destinations as well as took the train. So spoiled by how easy it is to get around!
    We flew different airlines too for our to and from Europe- we went with best price and times. Otherwise I would research “open jaw” flights as they are the alternative to one way flights and sometimes cheaper. Google Flights is great to help with research then book direct with the airline.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Thanks! Glad to know that it is possible to fly out of different spots and glad to know train travel is "still" easy in Europe. It used to be but it has been decades!