Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS will have no locker next year, and I'm concerned. If they don't have lockers, what do the kids do with thier winter coat/hat/gloves??? The idea of schlepping all of thier school stuff, WHILE having to wear or carry winter gear from class to class has me concerned. Any experience?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    DS will have no locker next year, and I'm concerned. If they don't have lockers, what do the kids do with thier winter coat/hat/gloves??? The idea of schlepping all of thier school stuff, WHILE having to wear or carry winter gear from class to class has me concerned. Any experience?
    Probably why most teen boys rarely wear winter coats 🤣 We just bought ds1 a light puffer that was warm enough for the bus stop weight but small enough to be easy at school

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

My kids have packable down jackets that they can stuff in their backpack. They don't wear hats or gloves! Hands in pocket and hood over their head if they're cold!
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Your kids wear coats/hats/gloves??? If they’re not teens yet, you may learn the answer soon. They won’t wear them. My kids NEVER wear any of those to school and we live in New England. And they are the norm. I used to worry about fire drills until my kids pointed out that they aren’t allowed to go to their lockers to get coats if there’s a fire drill anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the no lockers and forcing kids to carry all their stuff is just insane.

Middle school has always been use the locker and did not allow backpacks in classrooms. (20-21 year was remote for us and I think in person did not get lockers, last year lockers were assigned but not required). My guess is last year did not go great and they chose to go back to 19-20 locker rules. Students may have a small bag with them and carry their binder/computer. It does help keep phones, coats, and backpacks in lockers.

High school is a huge shift and everyone carries their backpacks with them. Mostly because the schools are huge and getting to a locker is not convenient. If you want a locker you can request one. My oldest usually requested a locker so he could store the "extra" stuff - coat, after school gear, extra snacks. Current sophomore did not request a locker, but he has a huge band locker and uses it to store the extra gear because it is more convenient to where he starts and ends his day.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Way back when in 1991-1992 (my 9th grade year) my school somehow managed to send us home with a set a books to keep at home because they had gotten rid of the school lockers the year before (kids used to climb up on the fences that surrounded them and fight). This was California too. No idea why it doesn’t happen more. Dd1 has a roller backpack and is in 6th grade, but I am going to request a second set of books for her this year (even if I have to pay for the workbooks) as part of her 504 plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Way back when in 1991-1992 (my 9th grade year) my school somehow managed to send us home with a set a books to keep at home because they had gotten rid of the school lockers the year before (kids used to climb up on the fences that surrounded them and fight). This was California too. No idea why it doesn’t happen more. Dd1 has a roller backpack and is in 6th grade, but I am going to request a second set of books for her this year (even if I have to pay for the workbooks) as part of her 504 plan.
    Our middle school and high school kids get a set of books to keep at home. In middle school there was a set of books to use in the classroom and I assume high school is the same (although I think maybe they can also access the material in class on chrome books). In middle school they had lockers (regular lockers and PE lockers) but they don't get them at the high school. I think my DD has access to something when she has to change for her Dance/PE class because she was told to bring a lock.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The new school DS will start attending next year did not even build lockers.

Wow, reading this thread I’m not sure what is worse. DD has a locker but they are only allowed to visit it before school, before and after lunch, and at the end of the day. Their passing period is two minutes in a three-story building so they don’t exchange anything but their lunchboxes during the day. Her school won’t allow kids to carry backpacks at school. So they all lug around these giant zipper binders that are stuffed to the gills. The binder contains notebooks for each of her classes, her chrome book, a zipper pencil pouch, whatever the English book of the moment is. I was glad I bought one of these $30+ binders with a lasts the school year guarantee because not surprisingly it wasn’t actually built for the abuse that the school insists on. She’s got a shiny new one for 8th grade and I wish it luck.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

DS did this through 7-12 grade. All of the kids did. No rolling backpacks. Just kept going--up and down multiple flights of stairs. He didn't play a sport. I think it was his work out for the day.

And winter wear?? All through HS, DS wore shorts every day--because that's what kids do. Yep, even in January in the northern Rocky Mountains. Even to walk to/from his car. He did have a packable down jacket. No gloves, no hat.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast