Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default How are kids supposed to carry these heavy a** backpacks?!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenasparkl View Post
    Our middle school and high school kids get a set of books to keep at home. In middle school there was a set of books to use in the classroom and I assume high school is the same (although I think maybe they can also access the material in class on chrome books). In middle school they had lockers (regular lockers and PE lockers) but they don't get them at the high school. I think my DD has access to something when she has to change for her Dance/PE class because she was told to bring a lock.
    Jr. High was 7-9 then in my area. It was only 9th grade where we had the second set of books. We got lockers back in high school. No clue what the norm is now.

At DD1’s old elementary school I wish they would install lockers because the 6-8 graders had to carry a binder and a set of books around school from class to class because backpacks stayed in home room. It was the weirdest thing. DD2’s school has full size lockers. She just started middle school so I am not sure what their methods are from carrying books from home room to the new class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 08-18-2022 at 03:24 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    DS will have no locker next year, and I'm concerned. If they don't have lockers, what do the kids do with thier winter coat/hat/gloves??? The idea of schlepping all of thier school stuff, WHILE having to wear or carry winter gear from class to class has me concerned. Any experience?
    My child's high school had lockers, but no one used them. Okay, they used them for things like storing cases of water... No one used them as intended . DC ALWAYS had a full backpack, usually full of books (she had good reason for lugging books, they were NOT textbooks), but also a binder for all classes (one 2 inch for all the classes), lunchbox, water bottle, ect. They had a pocket in their backpack just for coats; like stuff the wool coat in the backpack pocket. It worked, but their pack was always super heavy!

If you can, try to get 1/2 notebooks for classes that need them. Your child can always upgrade to a larger size if they need to.

None of the schools DC went to allowed rolling backpacks AND they are much heavier than traditional packs. If you have a school with a lot of stairs, that can be a problem.

bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Oh boy, this a subject that gets me going! Last year I reached down to move DSs backpack and it felt like it was full of rocks. I weighed it and it weighed almost 22 pounds! This was without his lunchbox and water bottle too. He also has to carry his violin until the orchestra room opens. It's crazy!! We have lockers but they are zip tied.....Didn't "they" do studies many years ago and determine there were back issues in kids with heavy backpacks?

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have lockers, but DS has never used his, he doesn't even wear a jacket and it gets pretty cold here.

DD used the locker in the swim locker room, she never really used her either. They don't have time between classes like we did, and hanging around the "locker bays" isn't a thing like it was when I went to school.

DS was in sixth grade last year and also didn't use a locker for COVID reasons. His bag weighed a ton and that's with a couple of teachers designating places for them to leave notebooks and other learning material so they weren't toting it around. I was so glad that I bought the Adidas Prime pack because at least he had room for everything. I have no idea if they are using them this year. I called a few weeks ago and the office lady said it hadn't been decided and probably wouldn't be until open house, which is next week.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

DD is thrilled to be starting high school and finally having a locker and allowed to carry a backpack at school! They were not allowed at the middle school, despite being required to carry a four-inch binder with a spiral notebook for every class including PE, a chrome book, and other books and materials. Lunches, PE and sport gear just added to the crazy. Trying to coach a petite sixth grader in managing it all was a nightmare.

She hated it all so much she has worked out a system with her backpack and vertical expanding file folders and isn’t even using a binder this year. She’s all about celebrating minimalism and streamlining as a 9th grader!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Susan

Thatcher Bennett 9/01
    Ava Grace 9/07

♥ms.pacman♥ is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    Oh boy, this a subject that gets me going! Last year I reached down to move DSs backpack and it felt like it was full of rocks. I weighed it and it weighed almost 22 pounds! This was without his lunchbox and water bottle too. He also has to carry his violin until the orchestra room opens. It's crazy!! We have lockers but they are zip tied.....Didn't "they" do studies many years ago and determine there were back issues in kids with heavy backpacks?
    I know right?? This HAS to be very damaging for kids backs and posture. It is ridiculous how much they have to carry. And similar story here… DD will have to be carrying around her violin as well. I try to get them to bring lunch sometimes but that’s just another thing she will have to carry….sigh.

Totally different scale than what you're dealing with in middle/high school, but I'm wondering how my daughter is going to handle her backpack with chromebook, binder, lunchbox, etc. in kindergarten this year. She's a little over 30 pounds and a little under 40 inches tall (average size of a not quite 4 year old girl).
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

I meant to add this. As someone said upthread, lockers seem to be going away. The rural county that I grew up in is opening a giant new school complex that is replacing the two high schools. They did not install lockers for every student. Instead, there are a limited number that can be rented for the year on a first come, first serve basis.

As others have said, kids may not have the big textbooks that we had, but they still have stuff -- clothes/gear for practices, musical instruments, etc. Why do they want kids walking around with this stuff?

Gymnbomb, your DD might be OK. She'll probably have to tote the items you mention back and forth, but at least she'll have a desk or cubby at school where she can leave things that don't need to come home daily.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I meant to add this. As someone said upthread, lockers seem to be going away. The rural county that I grew up in is opening a giant new school complex that is replacing the two high schools. They did not install lockers for every student. Instead, there are a limited number that can be rented for the year on a first come, first serve basis.

As others have said, kids may not have the big textbooks that we had, but they still have stuff -- clothes/gear for practices, musical instruments, etc. Why do they want kids walking around with this stuff?

Gymnbomb, your DD might be OK. She'll probably have to tote the items you mention back and forth, but at least she'll have a desk or cubby at school where she can leave things that don't need to come home daily.
    I think the idea is that if you don't give kids lockers, then you don't need to deal with searching lockers, drug issues with lockers etc.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast