Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    bcafe is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Some new middle schools here are not even installing gym lockers! Eww! Stinky kids now use the same clothes throughout the day? Poor teachers..

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Totally different scale than what you're dealing with in middle/high school, but I'm wondering how my daughter is going to handle her backpack with chromebook, binder, lunchbox, etc. in kindergarten this year. She's a little over 30 pounds and a little under 40 inches tall (average size of a not quite 4 year old girl).
    First, why does a Kinder student need to carry a Chromebook back and forth daily?? Here every student has a device, but K-5th are left at school, and it isn't until middle school they need to bring them back and forth. (If a family needs a device for home, they can get one from the district that stays at home). Where is she walking with this backpack? Our parents bring Kinders on campus and can help hang up backpacks, and then at the end of the day they pick them up at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    First, why does a Kinder student need to carry a Chromebook back and forth daily?? Here every student has a device, but K-5th are left at school, and it isn't until middle school they need to bring them back and forth. (If a family needs a device for home, they can get one from the district that stays at home). Where is she walking with this backpack? Our parents bring Kinders on campus and can help hang up backpacks, and then at the end of the day they pick them up at the door.
    She definitely doesn’t need to carry it back and forth. Neither does my third grader. We have computers at home and can access Google classroom much more quickly than on their chrome books . But they send them home anyway…

She only has to walk from the parking lot to her classroom and back. Parents cannot go in the building, so it will either be car drop off line or we will walk (about 15 minutes) from home and I can carry her backpack until we get to school. Pickup is at the main entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    She definitely doesn’t need to carry it back and forth. Neither does my third grader. We have computers at home and can access Google classroom much more quickly than on their chrome books . But they send them home anyway…

She only has to walk from the parking lot to her classroom and back. Parents cannot go in the building, so it will either be car drop off line or we will walk (about 15 minutes) from home and I can carry her backpack until we get to school. Pickup is at the main entrance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd ask the teacher if it can just stay at school. As a teacher, I wouldn't want my kinder students carrying chrome books back and forth. I see what they do with their backpacks! lol I also don't think Kinders should be spending much, if any, time on chrome books, but that is a different topic!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh dont even get me started. The district eliminated buses to our neighborhood b/c we are 'too close' at 1.8mi away. But, dd2 has to carry a 3in binder (ever try to find a backpack that accomodates a 3in binder????) various notebooks, a 'good fit' book, chromebook + whatever she needs. 2+x a week she also needs her violin. Thank goodness she is a bigger kid at least. They have a locker but can only go there at the start of the day, end of day and before lunch.

in HS the only ones who use lockers are orchestra students - there simply isnt time during the 3min passing time.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Ugh dont even get me started. The district eliminated buses to our neighborhood b/c we are 'too close' at 1.8mi away. But, dd2 has to carry a 3in binder (ever try to find a backpack that accomodates a 3in binder????) various notebooks, a 'good fit' book, chromebook + whatever she needs. 2+x a week she also needs her violin. Thank goodness she is a bigger kid at least. They have a locker but can only go there at the start of the day, end of day and before lunch.

in HS the only ones who use lockers are orchestra students - there simply isnt time during the 3min passing time.
    DS' school supply list calls for a 3-ring binder. I bought one but kept the the receipt. I bought two different binders for sixth-grade last year, and he ended up not needing either. Open house is tomorrow night, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it. lol

That said, if anyone needs a bigger backpack since kids aren't using lockers, I highly recommend the Adidas Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/adidas-Prime-...ps%2C94&sr=8-1

It's holds a lot. It can get heavy, but DS didn't have to squeeze or puzzle things into his bag. And despite all the weight it carried last year, it's still in grate shape. I just need to clip a few loose threads for this year.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    DS' school supply list calls for a 3-ring binder. I bought one but kept the the receipt. I bought two different binders for sixth-grade last year, and he ended up not needing either. Open house is tomorrow night, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it. lol

That said, if anyone needs a bigger backpack since kids aren't using lockers, I highly recommend the Adidas Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/adidas-Prime-...ps%2C94&sr=8-1

It's holds a lot. It can get heavy, but DS didn't have to squeeze or puzzle things into his bag. And despite all the weight it carried last year, it's still in grate shape. I just need to clip a few loose threads for this year.
    Hmm, I think we saw that one and it wasnt big enough - tempted to order it and make sure. That is a good price for the bigger backpacks. DD2 needs a 3 INCH binder - you know the mega jumbo one that is a pia to wedge into the backpack. They're not allowed to remove anything from the binder so they end up carrying a year's worth of junk by June. Oh, and no wheeled backpacks are allowed.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Get the Mead 5 Star Flex binder. Greatest binder ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    Hmm, I think we saw that one and it wasnt big enough - tempted to order it and make sure. That is a good price for the bigger backpacks. DD2 needs a 3 INCH binder - you know the mega jumbo one that is a pia to wedge into the backpack. They're not allowed to remove anything from the binder so they end up carrying a year's worth of junk by June. Oh, and no wheeled backpacks are allowed.
    Good Lord. My post was a spelling mess. Lol Yes, I bought a 3-inch binder for DS. I just tested it by putting it in his backpack. It’s empty but I opened it up some to approximate folders being in it. It fits pretty easily in the back pocket, and there’s still a ton of stuff in that section that we need to clean out from last year. If you order it from Amazon, you can always send it back. But I think you’ll be hard-pressed to find a bigger school backpack.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Have a middle schooler this year and facing all of these issues. She bikes to and from school everyday. Any recommendation for a sturdy bike carrier/ rack she can use to carry her backpack? She doesn't want to use a front basket, as she says that the backpack is too "tall" and will block her vision .

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast