Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It would bother me, but also I'd want to know more about the PE policy.

When I had a medical excuse to get out of PE in my high school (circa 1992-'23), I was assigned to a Study Hall & had to complete Health busy-work packets in order to get credit for PE. For an injury, a student would return to their regularly-scheduled PE class after their doctor cleared them for activity. I realize things are way different 30-odd years later, but I thought that plan of action was sensible - and I didn't often think PE was sensible at the time!

Is online PE similar to that? And if your DS will be cleared medically to return to physical activity after recovery this school year, what impacts does online PE have on that potential future?
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    It would bother me, but also I'd want to know more about the PE policy.

When I had a medical excuse to get out of PE in my high school (circa 1992-'23), I was assigned to a Study Hall & had to complete Health busy-work packets in order to get credit for PE. For an injury, a student would return to their regularly-scheduled PE class after their doctor cleared them for activity. I realize things are way different 30-odd years later, but I thought that plan of action was sensible - and I didn't often think PE was sensible at the time!

Is online PE similar to that? And if your DS will be cleared medically to return to physical activity after recovery this school year, what impacts does online PE have on that potential future?
    I have no idea what online PE is! No one will give me an answer, as we did ask about it when he was picking his schedule last May. DS said he when he got to class the PE teacher looked him up and down and said "Oh, well I told your mom I was going to talk to you about online PE but we can wait until you go to the dr next week.What sports do you play?" Huh?? I'm pretty sure she thought he was someone who was trying to get out of gym or something. He's clearly an athlete and looks like one, and as soon as she saw him her story changed.

My high schoolers have both done out of school PE. Either as summer school or an 8th hour during school year, but this is all independent or also called online. The district provides heart rate monitors and they are required to have a certain number of workouts where their heartrate reaches a given workout range for a specified amount of time each quarter. There are also online physical activity and health related modules with quizzes they have to complete along with the workouts.

It is most commonly students with full schedules doing this to free up an hour in their schedule.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by belovedgandp View Post
    My high schoolers have both done out of school PE. Either as summer school or an 8th hour during school year, but this is all independent or also called online. The district provides heart rate monitors and they are required to have a certain number of workouts where their heartrate reaches a given workout range for a specified amount of time each quarter. There are also online physical activity and health related modules with quizzes they have to complete along with the workouts.

It is most commonly students with full schedules doing this to free up an hour in their schedule.
    My child did an "independent study" for the gym requirement. They did two years of karate in place of the year long gym requirement. If this is high school and your son only needs a year or two, see if you can do independent gym.

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I personally don't want my kids ever doing online learning/activities again if there is an in person option. I can't imagine an online gym class being very fun or effective either.

I think I'd reach out to the head of the PE department to see whether the school would let him skip that first week of early gym OR let him just come to school and then have a free period to get work done. DS1 was out with a broken collarbone for 10 weeks last spring (his junior year) and he was fully excused from strength and conditioning (his gym class) the entire time and just had a free study period. If she doesn't want him sitting there - give him a hall pass or just let him come at the normal start of the school day till he's cleared.

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Is this HS PE? Maybe just pass on PE altogether this semester and allow his body to heal. Take the credit next semester or next year. My kids weren't required to have 4 years of PE in high school.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2