Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Would this bother you?

DS is currently on a 14 day no lower body activity restriction from his orthopedic due to some hip/knee pain. He's had two bad years (broken hip, two knee surgeries, etc). This rest is cake walk compared to those. He starts school tomorrow and is taking early gym which starts an hour before school. Teacher sends me an email today trying to talk me into having DS switch to online gym because she doesn't think he would want to sit and watch. It's 4 days until his dr appointment, and she knows that. I've given her the note, explained the situation, etc. The tone of the email is very condescending and manipulative. For some reason she doesn't want him in her class because he's currently injured. Back story to this teacher is she is so mean and condescending that she's lost her entire volleyball team over the last 3 years because of how she treats people. Do I just let this ride? Do I say something to the guidance counselor to see if there's something I need to know about him being in gym class? He missed almost all of gym class last semester and was able to pass it, so I'm not understanding why she wants him out of class.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I think I would welcome the chance to get out of her class - would he still have her if he did online gym? Going in an hour before school starts also sounds like a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    I think I would welcome the chance to get out of her class - would he still have her if he did online gym? Going in an hour before school starts also sounds like a pain.
    Yes to this.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Depends on the kid. When he's cleared will he want to be with peers before school doing this class? And will the attitude of the teacher impact him? DS1 would have rolled with it and jumped in the second week just fine. DS2 would have been devasted by anything the teacher said the first week when he was not allowed to participate and carried it for the entire year.

I’d need to see the actual email. It seems like maybe you are reading into her suggestion more than is there. Switch him to virtual if that works better for him or if you don’t want to deal with the teacher who it seems you don’t like (maybe for good reason.) Otherwise I’d let DS decide what he’d like to do—I can imagine with such serious ortho issues and he plays a sport too, right? maybe participating in much PE would be not worth the risk.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think I would welcome the chance to get out of this teacher’s class! If the online PE works for your son’s schedule, I’d probably go that route.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh, sorry to hear this. I would be more concerned with everything you know about this teacher in total, rather than if the email was an isolated incident. Not sure the best route to take, but you sure have a lot of votes for getting your dc out of her class since you have that chance!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would love for him to not take the class! Then I don’t have to get up so early 🤣 and he could use the sleep too. I’ll check in with him tomorrow and see what she says to him. I tried to talk him into online when he signed up but he wanted to be with his friends and the guidance counselor said that she’s never had anyone in his grade take it even though it’s an option. The teacher would be the same, so that could be interesting but I would think would be better.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Would this bother you?

The middle school PE teacher was so difficult when DS was out with a chronic injury. Our doctor was mad at what PE teacher was having DS do and wrote very detailed PE excusal notes. Because he couldn’t do the mile run, DS had to submit a handwritten page essay on the day of each run, but there was no schedule of when they were running, so DS nearly flunked PE the first semester. I gave up with the teacher, went to admin and DS was excused from PE and took an extra elective - PE teacher at my school told me that was an option. Admin initially didn’t want to do it, but I made it clear they needed to solve the problem or I’d take it further. They knew I work in special Ed so had the background to make things difficult.

So my advice - do whatever you can to solve the PE problem. The counselor ended up being key to getting DS out of the class. The counselor couldn’t tell the PE teacher what to do, but he did advocate with the principal to change DS’s schedule.

Now the HS PE teacher was completely the opposite. I made sure the 504 plan included details about PE because of the MS experience, and we didn’t need them. PE is a requirement in high school

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 08-16-2022 at 08:15 PM.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    Yes
    Sounds like a blessing to me! I wouldn’t want my DC hurt in her watch.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast