Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Helping one of my teens with procrastination

One of my teenagers who struggles with depression (but is on Prozac and works with a therapist regularly), is always late for everything. In the morning before school I can hear his alarm going off in his room and I have to come in and pull him out of bed. He's late for school, this summer he was 5-10 minutes late for work everyday, and he's even late for church a lot. I remember being like this at his age but can't remember what caused me to stop. I haven't been like that for more than 2 decades. He says he doesn't feel like doing something and just waits for the urge to get up to hit him or the adrenaline rush when he realizes he's going to be late.

Any suggestions how to nip this in the bud?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would try the classic setting the alarm for school for 30 min earlier and work and church, etc.

Does he have consequences for being late to school? Detention? Points off handing in assignments late?
    K

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think he just needs to deal with the natural consequences of being late. They will eventually catch up with him.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm not clear - is he sleeping through the alarm? Or snoozing it?

I'm an extremely heavy sleeper. I adjust and sleep though alarms fairly quickly. What works for me is a rotation of different alarm clocks with different sounds; I'll change it every couple of weeks to something else. I also set two different ones at a time, one ten minutes later than the other, and accross the room from the bed.

When I was a teen, mom's punishment was to move my bedtime ten minutes earlier every time I was late getting up.

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I think he just needs to deal with the natural consequences of being late. They will eventually catch up with him.
    That may take a long time. I know of people in their 40s where natural consequences haven’t worked
    OP, he needs to make it where staying in bed is a nuisance. Maybe multiple alarms? Radio?

Quote Originally Posted by mommy111 View Post
    That may take a long time. I know of people in their 40s where natural consequences haven’t worked
    OP, he needs to make it where staying in bed is a nuisance. Maybe multiple alarms? Radio?
    Right but somehow they seem to have made it to their 40s with, presumably, a job and maybe an education? Maybe they’ve just found out what works for them and it’s good enough?
    If there’s some simple solution like better alarms, great! But, she said her kiddo needs that adrenaline rush and i don’t know how easy that is to fix. That’s an internal vs external problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Ive tried this. Natural consequences in this case made his depression worse. Which is why I’m here.

There has to be an empowering way to teach him- you aren’t a bad person or a loser. You just have to overcome this bad habit. I was hoping more moms here had experience with this problem before.

We haven’t tried the radio yet. I’ll give that a go. Thx!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Ive tried this. Natural consequences in this case made his depression worse. Which is why I’m here.

There has to be an empowering way to teach him- you aren’t a bad person or a loser. You just have to overcome this bad habit. I was hoping more moms here had experience with this problem before.
    Sorry, I didn't know the extra elements. I was just thinking that if he got fired or got detention...that would be the kick in the pants that might actually work. I'm sorry that he's applying more to the punctuality! Good luck!

acmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Maybe try an alarm clock across the room? Then he would have to get out of bed to turn it off or snooze it.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by acmom View Post
    Maybe try an alarm clock across the room? ...
    Yeah, I had to do this one in my teens - if I could hit "snooze" easily, I'd just stay in bed, and then I'd rush through everything else ... and still show up late.

The other thing I had to do was revise my mindset about when I had to be somewhere, so if I had to be at Mass at 10am, I'd mentally prepare for 9:45am. If I started work at 2pm, I'd prepare for 1:45pm, and so on.

When I was working/commuting, I'd have a "latest leave by" time and reverse-engineered my entire schedule to leave at or before then. (This is also related to how I ended up becoming an early bird - commuting was way less stressful in the 6am hour than it was in the 7 or 8am hours, so it became a habit for my own mental health.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast