SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Gift for new grandma

My friend’s adult daughter is going to have the family’s first grandchild soon. I dont know the daughter at all- there’s a big age gap with her kids and I only know the teens. Is it weird to get the friend a “new grandma” gift? Give it to me straight! I’m new in this territory. If it’s not weird, what’s a good gift?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    My friend’s adult daughter is going to have the family’s first grandchild soon. I dont know the daughter at all- there’s a big age gap with her kids and I only know the teens. Is it weird to get the friend a “new grandma” gift? Give it to me straight! I’m new in this territory. If it’s not weird, what’s a good gift?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I think it’s a great idea! I would start her collection of board books to read to grand baby. A nice frame for those first baby pics?

When my uncle became a grandfather, I sent him a board book - How to babysit a Grandpa. I cannot recall the book I chose for my aunt.

A Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster seat is something that can be used often, at home and on the go, and is easy to store when not in use.

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it’s a great idea and should be done more often! I googled for some ideas for new grandmas and picture frames are one idea. Etsy also has cute little gift boxes with various things on them that say grandma -kind of depends on what kind of person your friend is and what she likes in general.

Target has a couple of cute frames just for an example-
    https://www.target.com/p/pearhead-grandma-38-me-picture-4-34-x-6-34-frame/-/A-80353741

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by happymommyof2 View Post
    When my uncle became a grandfather, I sent him a board book - How to babysit a Grandpa. I cannot recall the book I chose for my aunt.
    They have a How to Babysit a Grandma book by the same author. MIL gave it to us when DD1 was small.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Absolutely! I love the board book idea. Depending on how frequently grandbaby will be at the new grandparents home, I love the portable highchair options that can go on a kitchen chair with a tray. Or possibly a pack-n-play.

My parents are local and mom had a friend host a grandma shower for her. It was nice that she had a few burp clothes, books, toys, pack-n-play, and booster seat at her house so we didn't have to haul or double purchase.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No not all. I would get some basics like Gerber Bunch of Bowls, a towel set, and some bath toys if the grandma is going to be watching the baby. Maybe a playmat or bouncy chair/RockN Play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

My mom's friends threw her a grandma shower when I was pregnant with DD. They gave her things she could use when we visited--like a high chair, pack 'n play, umbrella stroller, books, and all sorts of things I'm forgetting. Even back when we were packing way more than we actually needed, it was so nice to not have to think about those things. She's gotten to use them with three additional grandkids since.

I love the idea of the portable high chair and/or board books. I'd probably add some IKEA kids' dishes. Things that don't take up a lot of space when they're not being used.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12