Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help with business casual-ish attire for travel - MMLaFleur?

I’m going to be assuming a new position and getting back into travel for work. I’m in an academic medicine field, so not particularly dressy or formal, but I still want to look professional.

Any recommendations of brands or outfits that travel well. I’ve tried Googling this a bit and the brand MM La Fleur keeps coming up. I’m not familiar with it. Anyone have experience?

For what it’s worth, I’m a short/petite pear-shaped size 6-8.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by elbert View Post
    Any recommendations of brands or outfits that travel well. I’ve tried Googling this a bit and the brand MM La Fleur keeps coming up. I’m not familiar with it. Anyone have experience?

I thought Ms PacMan had a lot of good things to say about MM LaFleur a few years back; I would love to try them, as the pieces look amazing, but they're out of my budget. (Not to mention, I don't really need work clothes right now.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post
    I thought Ms PacMan had a lot of good things to say about MM LaFleur a few years back; I would love to try them, as the pieces look amazing, but they're out of my budget. (Not to mention, I don't really need work clothes right now.)
    Hehe, yup, that was me!! Back in 2018 i started getting various pieces and i bought regularly from them until the pandemic hit.
    Overall, i really like their stuff and i would say 90% of what i wear to work now (when i do go in) is from there. i'm a size 4/6 and am 5'6" and apple shaped and i found many pieces that were flattering (and i think they care a variety of styles that different body types would find flattering).

The prices indeed are $$, so after i got some staple pieces, i would get most other pieces from either ebay or Poshmark for 1/3 or 1/2 the price. Or i would only buy items when they went on sale for 1/2 off. That helped a ton.

I found the pieces overall held up well. THe best thing about them is that they are very classic pieces, so now for example even pieces i bought from 2018 don't appear "out of style" and people can't usually tell i wore it before. a lot of pieces coordinate well with other pieces. the same cannot be said for Ann Taylor for example (where i used to shop), where things had bolder patterns but usually have to be worn with a set.

i have various pieces that are dry-clean only, which is annoying but i found a really cheap dry cleaner here so it's not too bad. before the pandemic i would just go there once a month with half a dozen pieces so wasn't too much of a hassle.

i would buy more from them, but i'm looking to transition to fully remote for work, so i don't think i need to buy more of these type of clothes. i really like the overall style though!!
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 08-31-2022 at 06:15 PM.

So, so helpful!!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Congrats on the new position!

I have also tried MM LaFleur, and I am short and pear shaped. I went in person in Boston years back (pre-pandemic). I like their styles but the fit was hit or miss on me. No petite sizes so some stuff just didn't fit right. The pieces I have though are still in good condition, still very classic style and I still wear them.

It's not the same at all but I have decent luck with Stitch Fix-- they do a good job with getting the sizing right. I have been less excited with the stuff they've sent the past 1-2 years and I don't know if their quality went down, or I'm just getting pickier as I have more. That said, I have a fair amount of professional clothes from them that I still keep in rotation.

Nordstrom is another great place to shop for clothes, I've bought pieces individually and also done trunk club.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wear dressier for clothes for church on Sundays and wear business-type suits for board meetings and such so I can't speak to longevity after regular and daily use, HOWEVER, I too am a 5'4" pear shape. I've always had good luck with Ann Taylor curvy petite pants. They fit me well- not a lot of gaping around the waist with their pants (because as a pear shape, regular non-curvy pants either are too tight in the hips or gaping at the waist). As long as I stick to "curvy" they fit really well. And I've found the quality to be very good. In other words, no poorly sewn seams, no threads hanging off, usually lined skirts and jackets. Much of their stuff is machine washable too.

I agree with Ms. Pacman though, you have to be careful because much of their clothing has a slightly trendy bent to it. For example, there was quite awhile puffy sleeves were on everything. And all their jeans were skinny or their version of straight (which was almost as clingy as skinny jeans). But honestly, it's really hard to find true classics that cut out all the trendy bits. I've yet to find one. I love their Essential shirt, especially the sleeveless one. They are so comfortable and never wrinkle. They look great under cardigans and blazers.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Thank you, fellow pears! Great suggestions.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I love Athleta. The Brooklyn ankle pants are a work staple for me and they have machine washable knit blazers that look sharp enough to wear to important meetings but are comfy for travel. They often come in sets with pants so you can create a full suit. I only buy sale items though, so I keep an eye out! But look here for ideas (this is their "travel and commute" filter:
    https://athleta.gap.com/browse/categ...=activity:1923

Everything I wear from Athleta for work is comfortable and machine washable and I often get compliments on something I'm wearing (a couple of work trips ago in San Francisco a young very pretty conference staff member probably in her 20s took one look at me coming in to get my covid vaccine card checked and said "I love everything about your outfit, I can't even say what I like best" and omg it made my day. I was wearing Athleta pants and an MMLaFleur blouse, with Rothy's slip-on sneakers. I am a remote employee so I only get dressed for work when I have to travel, so my entire work wardrobe was built with travel in mind. I'm not in academic medicine, but in pharma so most meetings I go to focus on interactions with academic medicine.

My work pants are almost exclusively Athleta styles. Same with blouses. Free shipping, free returns makes it so worthwhile. Many styles come in petite and tall.

I do have a few MM LeFleur pieces that look great and have generally held up well and I chose them for their classic styling (eg simple wrap blouse, simple straight leg pants, sheath dress), but I just can't justify the cost. MM LaFleur pieces sometimes show up on Nordstrom Rack!

eta: and recently I've obtained a couple of work pieces from Uniqlo that I LOVE, including a (men's!) blue gingham blazer. But it's riskier buying, with no free returns/exchanges. Sizing can be tricky. And no local store nearby for me. But there are some styles on there that I love that are a little edgier without being toooooo out of the box.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 09-22-2022 at 01:54 PM.

bcafe is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like the looks of the Brooklyn pant but it is short for me to wear to work. I notice many pants now seem to be ankle length and I can't wear those.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bcafe View Post
    I like the looks of the Brooklyn pant but it is short for me to wear to work. I notice many pants now seem to be ankle length and I can't wear those.
    What about this style? Would look very good with flats https://athleta.gap.com/browse/produ...p-page-content

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast