Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Bummed by this friend situation

One of my neighbors got divorced during the last school year and I have tried to find ways to help her out with her two kids when I can because I know it must be stressful to be 'on' all the time. Their dad lives close by, however, and picks them up from school everyday.

Her kids are at different schools this year, with different bell times, and my kids are in the same school as her youngest. She told me she wasn't sure how to get two kids to two different schools and get to work on time and asked if I could take her daughter to school. I agreed because it's like a 5 min drive away and I have to go there anyway. Well, she asked if she could drop daughter off at 7:30 because that's when she has to leave to get her son to school and then she will go straight to work after that. So I have her daughter for a full hour before we have to leave for school.....it is definitely making mornings tricky because she comes in and wants to play with my kids who then struggle to get ready, lunches packed and breakfast eaten. Ugh.

Well, I've been doing this for 3 weeks and I have passed her leaving her house twice after I have dropped the kids off at school, and I have seen her out running on our neighborhood sidewalks 3 different times on my way home from school, sooo....she isn't going to work after dropping off her oldest. I'm essentially giving her free babysitting every morning while she gets in a workout, or whatever.

Here's the kicker though. Every Friday our school has an awards assembly for the kids. So I get all the kids to school (drive by neighbor's house on the way out and her car is still there) and to their lines (I have to park and walk my Kinder guy to his line) and when I was walking back to my car, lo and behold, there is my neighbor walking up the sidewalk toward me! She sees me, turns her head and picks up her pace and then ducks into a side door before we cross paths. There she is sitting inside the auditorium for the awards assembly. So, remind me again....WHY did I have her daughter for an hour before school and then take her to school when her mom was going to show up 5 mins later????

I am done. Except I don't know how to tell my neighbor that. And I'm bummed that I don't feel like helping her anymore.
    Last edited by petesgirl; 09-09-2022 at 09:26 PM.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yikes! It’s great that you have offered to lighten your friend’s load. I’m sure she really appreciated the offer. I’m sorry she’s taking advantage of your kindness. I would tell her now that things have settled from the start of school you’ve realized that your family really needs that extra hour in the morning to yourselves. Being able to concentrate on getting out the door without distractions is the best way to ensure your family starts the day on the right tone. I would let her know she can call you if she’s in a bind and you will help out if your family schedule works with the timing. I’m sorry she’s put you in this spot.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Bummed by this friend situation

“I’m sorry but I can’t help with transportation anymore.” The end.
    Eta- and then maybe warn some other friends she might turn to so they at least know what they’re getting into before they offer to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Gosh the gall. I’m all for helping other parents in tough bind, and you were so kind to do so. But yeah, I agree it just isn’t working for you and the resentment has gotten in, which is not good for YOU.

I would say it point blank, in a text saying she’ll need to arrange alternate rides as you can no longer do it. End of. It also sound like you two weren’t that friendly prior the favor, so it’ll be no skin off my nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Wow. What a horrible way to take advantage of your kindness. And how stupid of her to think she could get away with it. I agree - a text or brief conversation is all that’s needed, and you don’t have to explain why unless you want to.

I agree with everyone else. That’s very ballsy of her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    “I’m sorry but I can’t help with transportation anymore.” The end.
    Eta- and then maybe warn some other friends she might turn to so they at least know what they’re getting into before they offer to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes to this. I don't think she'll be surprised since she knows you saw her at the school.
    Kris

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'm so mad for you! For you to try so hard to help and then find out you're being completely used -- not okay. I agree with the others, you just need to be done. And good riddance, because she's not the kind of "friend" you need in your life.

However, I'm uncomfortable with confrontation and can find it hard to say "no" too, so I do understand the stress of telling her it's over, even though it's totally justified. I'd probably be tempted to offer to help out in emergencies in the future, but in this situation I really think you should avoid even that, as I doubt you'd ever be able to trust that it's truly an emergency, since she's shown her willingness to abuse situations already.
    Lizi

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That is really strange! I would have given her the benefit of the doubt if I had only seen her at the assembly, but those other mornings where she is at home?? Unless she lost her job somehow?

I agree, "I wanted to let you know I won't be able to help with morning drop-offs anymore." She can take the DD with her and drop her off for before care if that exists at the school.
    K

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I hate confrontation, but morning are crazy in EVERY household. An added child who is ready to play would not work well for most families who were just trying to get everyone out the door.

I would simply tell the mom that you thought it would work, but after giving it a try, the disruption in your morning is affecting your children and your routine. Then apologize and state that you will no longer be able to help out after "insert a date here". I would give her a week or so (because I am a sucker) to find an alternative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast