Thread: Poland

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Poland

Having learned a week into exploring Alaskan cruises that DS2 has an intense fear of cruise ships (we don't cruise, so who knew?), we've purchased tickets for a 10 day trip to Poland. Our default travel philosophy is to watch for cheap flights and buy them if the timing works and quick research shows that we'd enjoy the destination. The stars aligned, so we're heading to Poland in July.

We will absolutely visit Auschwitz. The boys will be 14 and 16, and DH teaches Night. I'd love suggestions on other things to see in Poland.

We love a cross-section - cities, small towns / villages, natural areas (national parks, etc.), sports (soccer!), outdoor activities, museums - you name it. We will fly into Krakow and out of Gdańsk, and will rent a car and road trip. We've done this in Portugal and Costa Rica with great success and are very comfortable road tripping internationally. We generally stay 1-2 nights per spot, occasionally 3 or 4.

Are any BBBers familiar with Poland? We're excited and have some ideas, but would love some personal experience.

ETA: We did have initial hesitation about straining resources during a time that Poland continues to provide critical support to Ukraine. After reading, we learned that there is an active request for tourism, as it is a critical element of Poland's economy, which is best able to support Ukraine when strong. I'm still watching though...
    Last edited by ahisma; 09-15-2022 at 12:23 AM.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have only been to Gdansk (via cruise). The old town is very walkable. We did a walking tour with our cruise and saw some older sights (the first thermometer is in the plaza), and we finally found a Catholic Church (St. Mary’s Church….all prior churches had been Lutheran). I don’t remember all of the sites, but will look them up when I have some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

When are you planning the trip for? Next summer? I have a local friend who is Polish from the area around Krakow (which she describes as very beautiful). She has arranged pilgrimages there for our church. If you’d like, I’ll ask her for her suggestions. Are you looking for religious places to visit or only historical/secular?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I have only been to Gdansk (via cruise). The old town is very walkable. We did a walking tour with our cruise and saw some older sights (the first thermometer is in the plaza), and we finally found a Catholic Church (St. Mary’s Church….all prior churches had been Lutheran). I don’t remember all of the sites, but will look them up when I have some time.
    I'd love to hear more about what you enjoyed in Gdansk. We're all super intrigued - it seems so similar to Copenhagen. We're eager to see if that's the case when we're there - seems incredulous to me.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    When are you planning the trip for? Next summer? I have a local friend who is Polish from the area around Krakow (which she describes as very beautiful). She has arranged pilgrimages there for our church. If you’d like, I’ll ask her for her suggestions. Are you looking for religious places to visit or only historical/secular?
    That would be awesome, thank you! We are open to both religious and historical / secular spots. The trip is not religious in nature, but we enjoy all aspects of learning about new places. We are going in early July. It's fascinating how little there is out there on travel to Poland. The bookstore only had one travel guide (it's a great one though - Insight Guides).

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Poland

Quote Originally Posted by ahisma View Post
    I'd love to hear more about what you enjoyed in Gdansk. We're all super intrigued - it seems so similar to Copenhagen. We're eager to see if that's the case when we're there - seems incredulous to me.

That would be awesome, thank you! We are open to both religious and historical / secular spots. The trip is not religious in nature, but we enjoy all aspects of learning about new places. We are going in early July. It's fascinating how little there is out there on travel to Poland. The bookstore only had one travel guide (it's a great one though - Insight Guides).
    No I didn’t find it similar to Copenhagen but tbh we only spent a day there vs. three full days in Copenhagen. The old town area is walkable though and I believe there are some hotels there though.

This link looks like it has some good resources and is similar to where we went.

https://www.gpsmycity.com/gps-tour-g...ansk-3248.html

We ate lunch at Cafe Mon Balzac and the food was very good. We didn’t eat out much on our cruise but this was my favorite meal outside of the ship. It was so simple.

https://www.monbalzac.pl/

I believe it was the Oliwa Cathedral trip on our cruise that sold out but it doesn’t look to be too far from old town Gdansk. I feel like there was another cathedral trip too that sold out but maybe it was just this one (I looked it up on the Oceania website).

https://www.archikatedraoliwa.pl/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-13-2022 at 02:46 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)