Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Cars again - cloth or leather, hybrid or not, AWD or 2WD?

So...we've pretty much decided to just purchase new this time as no used cars that meet our criteria are showing with a bargain price tag. This would be used as a 3rd car, and after a period of time, we'd consider letting the kids use it.

I don't know why I'm stuck on Hondas, but I do feel they're comfortable and drive well enough. We were shopping for an Acura Integra for me, but the roofline in the back sloped so that DH couldn't sit straight up in the rear. DS is almost at his height at 14, so he wouldn't be able to ride in the backseat...and the Civic seems like it'll have the same issue. We're considering the new 2023 CR-V. (For size, DD has 2 tall brothers, plays golf, has 2 swim bags and a viola in addition to the regular school backpack. She fills up the trunk of our suv and minivan with just HER stuff each day.)

So we're trying to figure out how to not get the most expensive model...we haven't purchased a new car with cloth seats in decades. Does anyone have the current CR-V with cloth? The Civic Sport cloth seemed pretty scratchy to me, enough that I couldn't purchase it if I were going to be the driver.

And AWD or 2WD...there have been just enough times we've used AWD on the Pilot that we appreciate it, and we suspect this car will eventually be at college and AWD would feel safer to have...but I don't know...

And HYBRID...of course we want to opt for this, but with the leather seats, AWD, and hybrid, the price rises to $39K. What items can we knock off this car purchase and still be happy with it? Leather, AWD, or a hybrid engine?

I think so much of this is personal preference. The only one of those I would even want is hybrid.

You say you use AWD every once in a while, but you already have a vehicle that has it. If this is a third vehicle do you really need another one with AWD? (Maybe you do, but maybe you could just have whoever really needs it occasionally take the vehicle that has it?).

The leather is again just a preference thing. While I understand it is supposed to be “nicer” it is just not my preference. My car is 11 years old and has had at least one kid in it for the past 8.5 years and the cloth seats are still in very good condition. So it is really just a matter of if the price difference is worth it to you. Or if there is some other feature you consider a must have that is bundled in with leather.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Cars again - cloth or leather, hybrid or not, AWD or 2WD?

I would get cloth and awd. The only reason you need leather is a kid puking. We had cloth for 8 years as parents and that was my only fear. Cloth also doesn’t get as hot or cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would do cloth and AWD.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My friend just got the new CR-V. She really wanted the hybrid but it added too much to the cost
    She does have the cloth seats- and they’re heated. That’s the best of both worlds, if you ask me! I was in the car last week and didn’t find the material scratchy. I hate leather seats as I wear shorts and skirts all summer and hate sticking to them.
    AWD is my preference

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I’ve lived in northern CT for almost 20 years and northern AZ before that and never had AWD. Neither has DH. I find that when it snows, school is canceled and we stay home. Would be different if we had jobs that required being there no matter the weather. That said, we got a Subaru for our teen third car and part of that was because I feel better with DS having AWD, just a mom/safety thing. I agree that if you already have one AWD you can do without another.

I think cloth is fine for a third car.

Hybrid might make it harder to get the car sooner. I’m waiting for a Hybrid Highlander and the dealership is telling me that Toyota is having trouble getting the supplies for that especially given high demand. So how long you can wait for a car may drive the decision more than preferences. If you need it sooner, you are probably best letting them know you’re flexible wrt to all of these options.

Might also be worth checking out the RAV 4 Hybrid. Not sure how it compares price wise but would be a very similar option and I know people who love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

Might also be worth checking out the RAV 4 Hybrid. Not sure how it compares price wise but would be a very similar option and I know people who love them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agree. When we were car shopping, I assumed I’d get a CR-V until I test drove one. Scratched it off my list. I got a hybrid RAV4 instead.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

If this is a third car, how often will all four of you need to be in THAT car? If you have multiple cars, every car doesn't need to check every box. One can be a commute car, one a vacation car, etc.

I know for myself, as my kids get older, we rarely are all in a vehicle together. If we are, we take the big SUV, it's the "road trip vehicle".

Day to day, I'm driving my sedan alone, and I wish it were SMALLER! When we bought it, my husband really hyped that the teens could fit so comfortably in the back vs. the small sedan we were replacing. But, 99.9% of the time I am the only person in said car, or it's just me and ONE of them, and I wish it were smaller and sportier. That big backseat is a waste. I bet all 4 of us have ridden in it 3 times. The smaller car we replaced also rarely was used for all 4 of us, so I don't know why I let that sway me!

For me, I prefer AWD, I have gotten so used to it that I prefer how it feels day to day, not to mention snow. I prefer leather, but a lot of leather today is faux and I'm not sure how I feel about that.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm probably the wrong person to ask...I'd get all of it I'm really on the search for a hybrid or electric for me, but this is the one thing I may have to compromise on with my other needs/wants...for now. If I was certain I could get away with 2 rows, it would be different. And depending on where you live, AWD may not really be necessary. Do you get deep snow or have steep hills to deal with in the snow? Or do things get muddy? We used to live up a steep hill and in the snow and it was AWD all the way. Now, I could probably get by without. We don't get that much snow...however, we took my car to go to our local ski hill and I was glad I had it then because I needed it to get up the hill and get out of the snow...but most of the time, it's pretty unnecessary.

I can't stand cloth seats. But I have 3 boys, spilled drinks and all, 2 dogs, one who sheds like a madwoman...and leather is so darn easy to keep clean. That is my one non-negotiable.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have a hybrid minivan with leather and AWD. I really don’t need the leather (and hate how hot/cold it gets). I only need the AWD because we have a steep driveway and get quite a bit of snow in the winter that make our driveway tricky for cars without AWD. But if we didn’t have the steep driveway, even with the snow, I wouldn't need the AWD. So my vote is no AWD, cloth seats, and yes to the hybrid. I can go so much further on one tank if gas. It really is wonderful. ��
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast