Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Anyone have these cars?

So Dh and I were talking and we are probably going to have to buy a new car in the next six months (even though our 2006 Pilot while it is still running well and has 225k miles on it) this might be the best time (so we can get at least a 1/4 to 1/3rd of it paid off before DD1 goes to college). We most likely will be buying new.

This is our current short list (all will have either AWD or 4WD and will have a traditional gas engine):
    *Toyota 4Runner
    *Honda Passport
    *GMC Canyon
    *Toyota Tacoma
    *Toyota Tundra

(Dh won’t consider the new 2023 Pilot because it is an all new model)

If anyone has one of these cars and had to buy one since Covid did you have to wait a long time, how much was the deposit, was it hard to find a dealer that didn’t upsell, and did you use a car buying service like Costco/credit union/True Car, etc.? Overall how do you like the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 09-22-2022 at 01:17 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We bought a used (only 2,500 miles on it - guy traded in for the new Bronco) 2021 4Runner TRD Pro in June 2021. We got ours from a Ford dealership a couple of hours south of Chicagoland - worth driving down for it as it was impossible to find anything near us and all the local Toyota dealers were marking up MSRP on any that came in anyway. I looked for a few weeks before finding this one - the only others I was finding were in other states (NC, CO). I'm not sure if the marking up is still happening but I know for sure that the backlog is still going on as a friend bought her daughter a 4Runner S5 this summer to take back to college with her and I know she sort of had to take what she could get the minute it showed up on the lot and had no say on trim level, color etc. There was a line behind her waiting to test drive it if she hadn't taken it. We love our 4Runner - but I primarily chose it for its off roading capabilities and its longevity/lack of maintenance due to our overlanding plans. Not sure if I would have gotten it as a daily driver for the suburbs, although that's what I'm using it as most of the time right now and like it.
    Last edited by marinkitty; 09-22-2022 at 07:15 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My coworker bought a 2022 Toyota Highlander, got it off the lot, they considered ordering but they were told it's taking months and they liked what they saw. They liked the Palisade but also found out they are going for 5k over msrp and taking forever. We are in Central IL (I wonder if the Chicago BBB member bought her car down here, prices are usually better than larger cities.).

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I know my brother loves his 4Runner. I had one in college, but that was a LONG time ago. He recommended it when we were looking for DS1, but I thought it was a bit big for a brand new driver…otherwise seems really great.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Thank you both for the response. I found a 4Runner through a local Carmax that isn’t really that overpriced for the current market with 17k miles on it that we are hoping to look at on Sunday if it is still available. I am definitely prepared to look in most of SoCal for what we need.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We drive a Tacoma and a 4Runner. Tundras are huge - FIL got one and it didn’t fit in his garage. We are super super happy with both vehicles and plan to keep as long as possible. Middle child prefers driving my 4Runner over the sporty sedan we have as our third family car (aka kid car)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

4Runners are very popular with the teens around here. The school parking lot is full of them. I had one as a rental recently and I did not like it as I felt it drove and felt like a truck. But if that isn’t an issue for you then it would be fine.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

You seem to really love your pilot. Have you thought of paying yourselves the car payment until you really need a new car? Might give you enough time for the kinks to be worked out of the new model pilot before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by firstbaby View Post
    We drive a Tacoma and a 4Runner. Tundras are huge - FIL got one and it didn’t fit in his garage. We are super super happy with both vehicles and plan to keep as long as possible. Middle child prefers driving my 4Runner over the sporty sedan we have as our third family car (aka kid car)
    Thanks! The Tundra is the smallest of the full size trucks these days. Dh has always liked them. He feels that you get a better deal with one of those than the Tacoma but really likes the Tacoma as well. The Tundra would not fit in our garage either.

4Runners are not popular with teens here at all. They are probably the least popular SUV in general where I live.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

What about getting a 2022 Pilot? I was planning to wait for the 2023 pilot, but my lease was nearing its end, and odds are the new one won't be out in time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast