MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Swim Parents - Tech Suit Question

I need help with knowing when a tech suit is too tight! I know they take awhile to get on, and I know they are supposed to be tight. I've measured DS and bought size the sizing chart suggested. That tended to be a size or two below his regular suit size, which according to what I've read matches. He's tried on multiple suits/brands and they don't even pull up over his knee without a lot of work. When I watch videos on how to get a tech suit on, it shows the models getting them up to the knee fairly easy. Is this accurate? Is it too small if you can't get it up to the knee fairly easily? We've yet to get one on fully. We bought some Tri Glide to try, but I just feel lost as to if we need bigger sizing or if this is how they're supposed to be. We have no store near us to go get sized at either.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Seems like it might be too small. My DS1's used to look like they were 2 sizes smaller than normal and they were nice and tight, but he never mentioned them being extremely difficult to get on. He never had to do anything or use anything special to get it on.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Default Swim Parents - Tech Suit Question

You have to try them on. They should be easy to pull up to the knee and then they take forever. I’ve never dealt with a legit tech suit on a boy, only DD who is curvy. It takes forever to get over her butt. Probably 15 minutes or so. She tried on three different ones this past summer. There was a suit we couldn’t get over her butt, so, and that was too small. She likes Speedo the best. If there is a place within an hour or two drive, I’d go there, because the people who work there can size your kid up visually and tell you what size for each brand. There is so much variation.

I feel like it shouldn’t take that long for a boy. But there’s a definite technique to put them on. You kind of have to inch it up little by little. Sizing is super different between brands. DD has had arena, tyr, and Speedo over the course of her career, and they are all different sizes.

DS1 just turned 13, and he had a cheapo 12U tech suit that wasn’t that hard to put on. It was mostly mental. I’ll get him a real tech suit in January once he has a couple of state Q times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

MSWR0319 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks! I think I'll order a bigger size and go from there. He has two 12u "tech" suits that are the same size as his practice suits. Maybe I should have used those as as sizing guidelines instead of the sizing chart!

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    Thanks! I think I'll order a bigger size and go from there. He has two 12u "tech" suits that are the same size as his practice suits. Maybe I should have used those as as sizing guidelines instead of the sizing chart!
    Each brand fits so differently and has a different size chart. The real tech suits aren’t as stretchy as the 12u ones.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)