Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Covid Etiquette Question

We've been (and still are) very Covid-cautious -- we don't really socialize inside and I'm still masking at the store, etc. My general attitude at this point is "you do you": I wear a mask, but am not tsking at people who don't. I've grown comfortable being the only or one of very few people wearing masks in any given situation.

Within the next few weeks, I'm going to need to host a work event at my home, and I'm worrying about the etiquette involved. Is it in any way rude for me, as the host, to wear a mask, even if I'm not asking anyone else to wear them? I don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable or unwelcome, but I'd also very strongly prefer to be able to mask. This will be the first time since 2020 that we're entertaining anyone at home, let alone a group of relative strangers.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If it is for work, can you establish a testing protocol for participation?
    I am not Covid cautious and I’d feel like I had to mask if my host, in her house was wearing one. And I’m ok with that. But, I do think others might feel uncomfortable, unwelcome or (at least) uncertain. If the event is indoors with food and drink then it all gets muddied. Like I’ll wear a mask because you’re wearing one and set that expectation but then what to do about eating and drinking?
    I’d rather there be testing ahead of the event and go unmasked.
    Or rent some heat lamps and host outside.
    There was just a big conversation about this on the 1A on npr the other day and those were their solutions (testing, indoors with some air purifiers running/mask optional or no masks and outdoors).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would probably host outside if in your shoes.

I think it is fine for you as the host to mask, but I think it will make others feel somewhat awkward. If it is a pretty small group you know very well, it may not matter.
    K

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree that outdoors would be easier for everyone. (And if you’re talking about the next couple of weeks, you probably would not have to rent heat lamps!)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Do you have an outdoor space where you could host? If so, I'd go that route and keep your doors and windows open for flow, both air and people. If not, I agree with you that everyone should do what works for them and it's fine if you mask. To alleviate any awkwardness from guests, I'd tell them ahead you will mask indoors but do not expect it from them, hoping they will enjoy the food and drink. I would probably still be masking too if DD hadn't brought Covid home to me in May so I completely understand where you are.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It's 100% fine for you to mask. Your guest's comfort around you wearing a mask shouldn't be your problem. I agree it would be nice to give guests a heads up that you will mask but do not expect anyone to do so (good suggestion from carolinamama!)

And I also agree with, weather permitting, doing what you can outdoors and/or opening windows/doors with fans on to circulate fresh air.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hmm, lots to think about! If these are your coworkers who routinely see you masked at work, then I think there's less potential for discomfort, as they're used to the fact you mask routinely and it won't seem much different -- plus it shouldn't be a surprise to them to see you masked if that's your normal. But given that you called them "relative strangers" I'm guessing it's either a larger group or you don't see these people all the time. I'm also guessing outside isn't an easy option or you'd probably have already been planning that -- though it's a great alternative if possible.

Ultimately - you are being gracious to host an event in your home. You always have the right to make your own choices about masking, and *especially* within your own home you should do what makes you feel comfortable. If that is wearing a mask, then you should absolutely not feel obligated to remove it. You shouldn't feel obligated to put yourself in an uncomfortable and awkward situation to just to potentially avoid someone else's discomfort. However, the reality is that yes, it may make some people feel uncomfortable. I don't think that should stop you from masking, but that's likely reality.

Personally, I don't routinely mask anymore. If I walked up to your house and saw you masked (assuming I don't routinely see you at work that way or wasn't given a heads up in advance), it would be initially surprising to me as almost no one around us masks anymore. I would likely grab a mask from my purse and put it on as well, or at least ask you if you wanted me to (and would be completely fine with this!). That wouldn't make me feel awkward. But, I *would* also feel very awkward if I didn't happen to have a mask with me at the time, and therefore felt like I couldn't even offer to wear one. I think in your shoes I may have a box of disposables sitting near the door, so someone could grab one if desired (or at least feel like they can offer to wear one).
    Lizi

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I might just say “I prefer to wear a mask, but please do whatever works for you”. I’d be the person who doesn’t normally mask anymore, but I’d wear one because I’d feel like it was more respectful to you…but if you really don’t care what others do, just tell them it’s fine whatever they choose to do.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

JustMe is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think if you are clear about the "you do you" part there is nothing rude at all. There is only so much you can do about people who may take it that way.

I do wonder if it is possible to have it mostly outside as others have said. I could start a whole other thread as we still wear masks inside, but I am starting to question (for myself, not you) if it really helps when literally no one else is. (again no judgement and not intended to say what you should or shouldnt do, just my own dilemma).
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I'm curious how you will handle food and drink? I think I would be a little uncomfortable, honestly, if the host was masked and I was not. But, it becomes awkward if people are eating and drinking. If it is not that kind of event, then I think it would be ok.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast