Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My advice for anyone is that if a school you're applying to has early action, then 100% apply then and do not wait for the regular round. DS1's private high school was adamant about this. All kids applied EA at all schools that offered it.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    This is definitely true and some schools will publish their admit rates for some of the most competitive majors. University of Washington for instance, has an overall admit rate of about 55%. But when it comes to computer science, the admit rate for WA residents is about 27% and the admit rate for OOS is just 3%. If I was an OOS computer science major I wouldn't even bother applying, plus the OOS costs are high (~$60k a year).

Yeah DD applied because on paper it was a perfect fit to her list, and she thought being a white female might give her enough of an edge. It didn’t.

Be aware that UW (the west coast one, not Wisco) has a pretty different set of things that look at. You can see it on the common data set but IIRC they don’t look at recommendations, and test scores are only used for “edge cases”. They very heavily weight the essay and demographic factors which may or may not help your kid.

I don’t want to trash the school, but if anyone is seriously considering it I would also look into some of the housing challenges there - different/more than the several other flagships I follow. And like most (not all) flagships there is nominal merit money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmyZ is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

https://daytripperuniversity.com/

Great resource when planning college visits.
    Our string quartet is complete

cmo is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

For Michigan, another hidden gem for lodging is the Inn at the Michigan League. Great location and includes parking! There is a convenient cafe/market on the first floor as well. If you are not coming at a high-demand time (sports/arts events, graduation) it might be a good choice. https://inn.studentlife.umich.edu/rooms/

You could do it in one day, but if your daughter is interested in engineering, art, or music, allow extra time to make the trip to North Campus, which is not a part of the general tour.

My DC is a student there, and has a roommate who is a tour guide.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Not surprisingly, that list shows a very low OOS acceptance rate for UNC-Chapel Hill. I think there’s still quite a low cap on OOS admissions. (Back when I was paying attention to that stuff, no more than 15% of undergrad admissions could be OOS — no idea the current cap.)

A crucial question, for schools that have a cap: does this include OOS athletes? At a school like UNC, that could eat up a lot of the potential OOS slots (if it applies). I’ll bet one of you sports fans will know the answer!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Not sure about the cap, but the 8.2 percent acceptance rate for oos students does include recruited athlete. It’s crazy hard to get admitted oos even compared to Michigan and the UC schools.

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Not surprisingly, that list shows a very low OOS acceptance rate for UNC-Chapel Hill. I think there’s still quite a low cap on OOS admissions. (Back when I was paying attention to that stuff, no more than 15% of undergrad admissions could be OOS — no idea the current cap.)

A crucial question, for schools that have a cap: does this include OOS athletes? At a school like UNC, that could eat up a lot of the potential OOS slots (if it applies). I’ll bet one of you sports fans will know the answer!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    When I attended UNC in the mid 90s, the OOS cap was 18%, I think. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was lower now.

I attended OOS from UNC, but I was one of the specialty cases -- first-generation college student, rural area, POC, limited access to AP courses. I was a really good student and took 12 college credits with me when I started. But I definitely checked the 'diversity' box that they look for, even beyond ethnicity.

But that was also almost 30 years ago. I wouldn't make it past the first round of admissions these days.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My oldest is a junior engineering major At University of Michigan and despite excellent grades and literally perfect sat and act scores got zero aid and yes the tuition is almost 60k a year we had saved for years and our in laws helped that’s why we can afford it

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    My oldest is a junior engineering major At University of Michigan and despite excellent grades and literally perfect sat and act scores got zero aid and yes the tuition is almost 60k a year we had saved for years and our in laws helped that’s why we can afford it
    Nice to "see" you again!!! Can't believe all our kids are so old!

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Egoldber
    K

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Beth, had to come out of hiding to say last I know, your oldest was an adorable grade schooler. Now she is a perfect scoring top 20 junior. How time flies!!!!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast