Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Visiting Univ of Michigan and Univt of Wisconsin

DD a junior wants to go visit both the University of Michigan and the University of Wisconsin his year so I wanted to see if anyone has any tips. We would be flying from Boston and would like go either over Feb or April Break as her hs has instituted a strict attendance policy for this year so missing school would be an issue. How many days would you plan for a trip? Any hotel or sites to see recommendations? Please share any useful information.

Thanks!

gatorsmom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have also been planning on touring UWMadison and with the same restrictions. We are trying not to miss school. We have been watching the UWMadison website hoping weekend tours would be available or ones that matched up with some of our breaks. So far most tours are during the week which is annoying. Are there any other schools nearby that your dd wants to tour? Anything in Chicago? It’s less than 3 hours away. Visiting in February would give her a good look at the coldest and bleakest time of year here. Sorry I don’t have any hotel recommendations. The university is very big and spread out over the city but Madison itself is a pretty small town. We were planning on spending half a day there taking some tours of the campus, housing and engineering department before driving over to Milwaukee (so ds2 can check out MSOE).

If you have extra time, our capital building is known as one of the more beautiful ones. It’s worth a visit.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 09-23-2022 at 03:52 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We’ve stayed in Ann Arbor numerous times, always at the Hilton Garden Inn by the mall. It’s a short drive to campus. Looks like there aren’t a ton closer. I’ve stayed at a different Graduate and think it’s a fun theme hotel . The UofM one is in a great location but that $30 valet fee gives me pause.
    I’d aim for February because if you have to reschedule, you still have April.
    Visit the Cherry Republic when you’re there- always one of my favorite stops in Michigan (though we usually do the flagship store farther up state).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If you want a nice place on the lake in Madison, we loved this hotel…great restaurant as well

https://www.theedgewater.com/

There are others closer to campus though.

Does the school not give them excused days for college visits? That stinks.

We did do most of our visits in the summer because of sports, but we get a few excused days Jr/Sr year to visit colleges.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The Graduate or Bell Tower are walking distance to campus and nice options in Ann Arbor. The Edgewater is the best place I've stayed in Madison - we've been there several times for hockey tournaments. Not right on campus but not too far either.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We’ve stayed at a few hotels in Madison now. Our favorite is the Springhill Suites - and it’s one of few sold out for parents weekend so we aren’t alone.

Make sure to have a drink on the Terrace at Memorial Union.

And yes, tours there were only during the week, and fewer offered than most schools.

I would double check attendance policy - most schools excuse x number of college visits with proof.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My only advice would be to make sure you run each school's Net Price Calculator before planning a trip. UofM pretty much only gives aid to those with financial need (and mostly to in state students) and only has a handful of extremely competitive merit scholarships. So over $68k a year for out of state students typically, with tuition increases of 3-5% every year. University of Wisconsin awarded merit scholarships to less than 5 out of state students this year, which is typical.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by essnce629; 09-23-2022 at 06:12 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    My only advice would be to make sure you run each school's Net Price Calculator before planning a trip. UofM pretty much only gives aid to those with financial need (and mostly to in state students) and only has a handful of extremely competitive merit scholarships. So over $68k a year for out of state students typically, with tuition increases of 3-5% every year. University of Wisconsin awarded merit scholarships to less than 5 out of state students this year, which is typical.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Also for Michigan, the price jumps once you hit a credit threshold. Engineering is $4000 more, for example, after 54 credits.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
    Kris

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

One more thought about Wisco - if you’re only staying for a night consider The Graduate. It’s pricy but a fabulous location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Re: Wisconsin. Love the Graduate! Spring Hill Suites is also great Def sit by the lake and enjoy it. It is lovely. Madison is a great college town.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast