Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    Where are you finding OOS acceptance rates? Is there a good source? DS has an OOS public school on his list with 50%ish acceptance rate but I can’t find how that breaks down for OOS. Trying to make sure it’s the target school we think it is. I know it’s got to be lower for OOS but trying to understand how much lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did you find anything by googling "out of state acceptance rate" and the schools name?

This is from last year but lists some of the state schools with very low out of state acceptance rates.
    https://www.collegetransitions.com/b...ic-university/

Out of state tuition is also very high; it's basically like paying private school tuition for some schools.
    Last edited by ett; 09-24-2022 at 07:09 PM.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    Did you find anything by googling "out of state acceptance rate" and the schools name?

This is from last year but lists some of the out of state schools with very low acceptance rates.

Out of state tuition is also very high; it's basically like paying private school tutions for some schools.
    Not surprisingly, that list shows a very low OOS acceptance rate for UNC-Chapel Hill. I think there’s still quite a low cap on OOS admissions. (Back when I was paying attention to that stuff, no more than 15% of undergrad admissions could be OOS — no idea the current cap.)

A crucial question, for schools that have a cap: does this include OOS athletes? At a school like UNC, that could eat up a lot of the potential OOS slots (if it applies). I’ll bet one of you sports fans will know the answer!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

One more thing on Michigan (for sure) and most flagship schools. If your kid is looking at comp sci, engineering, or business the admissions rates are much lower than posted. DD had 14 highly qualified friends apply for this fall. 11 were waitlisted for business/comp sci/engineering. One (female, legacy) got in for aeronautical engineering. Three got in for “not the programs listed above”. The female who got in wasn’t even waitlisted for Texas (usually a little easier)or Georgia Tech. She ended up with a full ride at a top 10 program. We’re back to “it’s basically a lottery”.

Wisco is unusual for top 20 CS and doesn’t require direct admit and isn’t capacity constrained. I think it’s still a lower acceptance rate than other majors. Less sure on business and engineering but I would research.

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DH went to U of M and I went to UW - so we are a great source for what the campuses were like 20+ years ago

I second Zingerman's at U of M - it's an institution.

At UW, visiting Memorial Union is great, even if you can't sit outside on the Terrace yet. A walk down State Street for dinner would be a good use of time there too. And if the stars align and you are in town for a home hockey or basketball game (men or women) in February, definitely do it!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

This is from last year but lists some of the state schools with very low out of state acceptance rates.

Out of state tuition is also very high; it's basically like paying private school tutions for some schools.
    All I’ve found so far is stuff that says 20% of the incoming class is from OOS. But that doesn’t tell me enough to deduce an acceptance rate. That list was interesting though. Thanks. One of his other schools is on the list, Purdue. The school I’m looking for is U of MD which is less selective than Michigan/UVA/UCLA so we’re hoping it’s more of a target/likely-ish school for him, but could be wrong if OOS is much lower.

I live in Ann Arbor and graduated from UM for both my undergrad and master's. We've been back here for 6 years and got home from the football game an hour ago.
    First, it sounds like you are planning on doing both schools in one trip. Just want to make sure you realize it is quite a haul from A2 to Madison - do-able but not just down the road. And in February you could hit a big storm that would make it all the worse. You could also have 50 degree weather though. We lived in CT before moving back here and found the weather in New England to be milder overall but more extreme. We don't have nor'easters here - more like a bunch of 4" snowfalls that make a mess of the roads.
    There are lots of hotel options as long as your April break doesn't overlap with graduation here. And if you decide on February, spring break at UM is 2/25-3/6 and you don't want to come then because campus will be dead. You didn't give a budget but the Graduate and Bell Tower are both very nice if they are within your budget but there are lots of other options on the edges of town - 10 minutes from campus. I think you could "do" Ann Arbor in one day-long visit but 2 would give more flexibility. You could do something like fly into Detroit, rent a car and head to Ann Arbor (30 mins from the airport), spend a day or 2 here, and then drive to Chicago for a day or two, and then continue to Madison and fly home from there.
    I'm happy to consult when you get closer to your dates.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    A crucial question, for schools that have a cap: does this include OOS athletes? At a school like UNC, that could eat up a lot of the potential OOS slots (if it applies). I’ll bet one of you sports fans will know the answer!
    Yes it does, plus international students as well. Like at UT Austin, the OOS acceptance rate is around 8%. If you're not a recruited athlete then your chance of acceptance is closer to zero.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    All I’ve found so far is stuff that says 20% of the incoming class is from OOS. But that doesn’t tell me enough to deduce an acceptance rate. That list was interesting though. Thanks. One of his other schools is on the list, Purdue. The school I’m looking for is U of MD which is less selective than Michigan/UVA/UCLA so we’re hoping it’s more of a target/likely-ish school for him, but could be wrong if OOS is much lower.

DS1 applied to U of MD so I can share what little I know.

DS1 wanted to go to Maryland but DH and I thought it was too far (and too expensive as an OOS student). But he really wanted to apply anyway, so he did for regular admission. He didn't get in but told me after the fact that to have a better chance of getting accepted, you had to apply early action. This article states the same. https://www.collegetransitions.com/b...y-of-maryland/

"The Class of 2024 saw 59% of EA applicants accepted and just 18% of Regular Decision applicants achieving the same positive result. A stunning 94% of the incoming class was accepted via Early Action. The overall acceptance rate for that cohort was 49%."

https://admissions.umd.edu/explore/m...lment-programs
    They also have majors that are more competitive and there is a chance that you will not be accepted into the major even though you are still accepted by the school.

"Admitted students who select an LEP as their major are reviewed by the specific program to determine admission to that major. While the majority of students are admitted to their preferred major, some LEP applicants may not be. Students who are admitted to UMD but not their preferred LEP major are placed in Letters & Sciences, where they will work with an advisor to meet the gateway requirements to earn admission to that major."

If we were seriously considering the school, we would have done more research and certainly applied early action. But we knew the distance alone made it not a good choice for DS1. Also, besides the fact that it was a very popular school for graduates of our high school, DS1 could not really state any other reason why he wanted to go there!
    Last edited by ett; 09-24-2022 at 06:29 PM.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    One more thing on Michigan (for sure) and most flagship schools. If your kid is looking at comp sci, engineering, or business the admissions rates are much lower than posted.
    This is definitely true and some schools will publish their admit rates for some of the most competitive majors. University of Washington for instance, has an overall admit rate of about 55%. But when it comes to computer science, the admit rate for WA residents is about 27% and the admit rate for OOS is just 3%. If I was an OOS computer science major I wouldn't even bother applying, plus the OOS costs are high (~$60k a year).

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DS1 applied to U of MD so I can share what little I know.

DS1 wanted to go to Maryland but DH and I thought it was too far (and too expensive as an OOS student). But he really wanted to apply anyway, so he did for regular admission. He didn't get in but told me after the fact that to have a better chance of getting accepted, you had to apply early action. This article states the same. https://www.collegetransitions.com/b...y-of-maryland/

"The Class of 2024 saw 59% of EA applicants accepted and just 18% of Regular Decision applicants achieving the same positive result. A stunning 94% of the incoming class was accepted via Early Action. The overall acceptance rate for that cohort was 49%."

https://admissions.umd.edu/explore/m...lment-programs
    They also have majors that are more competitive and there is a chance that you will not be accepted into the major even though you are still accepted by the school.

"Admitted students who select an LEP as their major are reviewed by the specific program to determine admission to that major. While the majority of students are admitted to their preferred major, some LEP applicants may not be. Students who are admitted to UMD but not their preferred LEP major are placed in Letters & Sciences, where they will work with an advisor to meet the gateway requirements to earn admission to that major."

If we were seriously considering the school, we would have done more research and certainly applied early action. But we knew the distance alone made it not a good choice for DS1. Also, besides the fact that it was a very popular school for graduates of our high school, DS1 could not really state any other reason why he wanted to go there!
    Thank you for all of this. Fortunately, I did stumble upon the EA v RD acceptance rates when I was looking into UMD and told DS to be sure to do EA if he was interested. This and the things Essence mentioned make me really wish there was some reform to provide students with greater disclosure and, therefore, predictability. It just seems wrong to take their application fee, waste their time and emotional energy when the acceptance rate is so far below what they think it is based on their research. Reminds me of Tulane. Last year they accepted only 106 students from thousands of regular decision applicants.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast