Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    My advice for anyone is that if a school you're applying to has early action, then 100% apply then and do not wait for the regular round. DS1's private high school was adamant about this. All kids applied EA at all schools that offered it.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
    Dd is slugging thought this now. Two ea submitted thus far, one Ed and four more ea before the end of the month. She also has one rd that she needs to file asap to get an interview. She plans to do two more rd in November and save 3 until she hears from ED school. 12 schools total, which is her school’s current recommendation.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Dd is slugging thought this now. Two ea submitted thus far, one Ed and four more ea before the end of the month. She also has one rd that she needs to file asap to get an interview. She plans to do two more rd in November and save 3 until she hears from ED school. 12 schools total, which is her school’s current recommendation.
    Do they breakdown the 12 in any specific way? Like of the 12, how many safety schools?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Good luck!

DS1's school counselors also recommended applying to 10-12 schools. He had 13 on his final list and had applied to 9 by the end of November (UCs due then). Once he had all his EA acceptances in by Christmas, for the schools he most wanted to go to anyways, he didn't bother applying to the last 4 schools.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Do they breakdown the 12 in any specific way? Like of the 12, how many safety schools?

I think it depends on what your budget is. The budget drives the list is my motto. If you qualify for need based financial aid and your most affordable option is a super selective meets need school, then you'll have to apply to more reaches in order to get a chance at acceptance since they're extremely hard to get into. In our case, DS1 was seeking out extensive merit aid since there's no way we were paying $60-80k at a selective reach school (Seller schools) for an undergraduate degree. Those were all crossed off the list from day one and DS needed to apply exclusively to target and safety schools (Buyer schools) for the most merit aid discount. He had zero reaches on his list for this reason. His friends who came from families who would happily pay $80k+ a year for a name brand school had many more reaches on their lists.

Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post

They say one third for each category. Dd has three true safeties, a SLAC that really likes applicants form her school, the rest are reaches and targets. Maybe more reaches because some of the schools on her list are reaches for everyone at this point.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I don’t know anyone in real life that applied to 12 colleges. And our school qualifies for free college applications through a special program that helps disadvantaged schools. The college threads on here definitely show off very different life experiences!

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I don’t know anyone in real life that applied to 12 colleges. And our school qualifies for free college applications through a special program that helps disadvantaged schools. The college threads on here definitely show off very different life experiences!

It’s also regional. Our high school is suburban and most kids are upper middle class. The vast majority go to one of the three big state schools, which are all easy to get into (acceptance rates of 85%+). We know lots of kids who only applied to a small handful of colleges. If a kid wants to major in a competitive field (engineering or computer science), they often have to apply to a lot. Or if kids want to go to a selective school, then you need to apply to a lot of schools to make sure you get in somewhere. DD will be applying to a bunch of schools since she wants to leave the state and attend a small liberal arts college on the coasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DS has applied to 3 colleges. 2 acceptances so far, likely 3. He might apply to one more later, but unlikely as he's been accepted to his first choice.
    K

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post

12 seems like a lot to me. It would be a lot of work to put together 12 applications. Especially if you are customizing the applications for each school, which is frequently necessary. For the schools that requires essays, they often have a specific question (or two or three) to answer. Figure in time to get help with each of those essays (or at the very least have a couple people proofread them), arrange interviews for the ones that recommend it, and it would be a LOT of work for 12 applications.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Visiting Univ of Michigan and Univt of Wisconsin

I know a few people (mine and DH’s cousins) personally who have applied to between 7-10 schools. Most of them all went to well known larger Catholic high schools in Southern California.

More recently we know a girl from DD1’s high school who must have applied to 20+ schools because she must have gotten into 12-15 schools because she had the longest list of acceptances of anyone in her school. She ended up going to DD1’s first choice of school so tbh that bodes well for DD1 as now their admission program will show that someone they admitted from DD1’s school ended up attending in the last few years (if that is truly how those programs work).

So many colleges offer free applications as I was told by one of last year’s senior parents that it just didn’t hurt to apply to all of those schools whether or not they ended up going there. This girl ended up at UCLA but applied to a bunch of Catholic schools (Loyola Chicago, Loyola Los Angeles, Marquette, and Xavier) as back ups but tbh per her mom would’ve only really considered Loyola Los Angeles because it was in SoCal).

I honestly think those schools that want people applying to 10+ schools are those who want to use acceptances as marketing and or recruiting tools for their schools especially in areas where there is a ton of competition for private schools.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast