Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I find that doing it bit by bit is the least emotionally exhausting way to do it! I'm also getting pretty cuthroat with my purges as the years go by. If I don't feel fantastic in something, out it goes.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofspring View Post
    I find I often have a lot of emotions tied up in things and that can make decluttering very exhausting.
    Same here. I get very emotionally tied to things. It’s weird. I find that when I’m angry about something, I can get through the sorting much easier. When I’m angry I pull stuff off my racks without giving it more thought than, “I haven’t worn this is years, I’m tired of seeing it, out it goes.” Or I angrily say, “who am I kidding? Even if when it does fit me, I’m going to want something new.” Anger seems to help me push past that.

I’m going through my closet right now and it’s frustrating. Not only did I NOT lose the 5 pounds back in January-March that I wanted to so desperately, I’ve regained 10 pounds since May. So do I throw out the things that don’t look so great now with my weight gain or hold onto them until I can get my act together and lose that 10 pounds again?
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post

I’m going through my closet right now and it’s frustrating. Not only did I NOT lose the 5 pounds back in January-March that I wanted to so desperately, I’ve regained 10 pounds since May. So do I throw out the things that don’t look so great now with my weight gain or hold onto them until I can get my act together and lose that 10 pounds again?
    I’m in the same spot. I’m hoping the bad news I got last week will spur me to lose my pandemic pounds.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie;[URL="tel:4429227"
    4429227[/URL]]I’m in the same spot. I’m hoping the bad news I got last week will spur me to lose my pandemic pounds.
    Ok this is a big part of like jeans etc. also I have clothes that are fine and cute but i never wear. Just seems like a waste to get rid of them but I think I should …
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

firstbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    Ok this is a big part of like jeans etc. also I have clothes that are fine and cute but i never wear. Just seems like a waste to get rid of them but I think I should …
    The Lazy Genius recently had a podcast about our personal style and curating / fine tuning our clothes based on our personal style. It was really insightful for me and may help you feel better about moving things out.

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think of this the way I think of "wasting" food. It's just as wasteful to eat more than I should as it is to throw food away. I have no problem throwing out food. If you never wear them, and give them to someone that will, they will be used which is less wasteful!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Totally donate! Only keep what you love. Someone else will get good use out of what you no longer have in your closet. If it doesn't fit I say donate too. I think this way you set it up as win/win. Either you don't lose the weight so you don't miss the clothes and you replace them instead with things that are fabulous and make you feel good about yourself OR you do lose the weight and well, you've lost weight, lol and have to buy new!

Also, I think my very favorite take away from all of Marie Kondo was her process for letting things go. Even if you bought a great piece because you thought you might like it and it has stayed in your closet for 3 years but you're never inclined to wear it...don't look at it with regret or hold on to it with hopes that maybe it will be worth the money you paid some day. Instead give thanks that it helped you figure out your style a little bit better and it has served you that way. I actually thank the item and then donate! It feels good.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous;[URL="tel:4429397"
    4429397[/URL]]Totally donate! Only keep what you love. Someone else will get good use out of what you no longer have in your closet. If it doesn't fit I say donate too. I think this way you set it up as win/win. Either you don't lose the weight so you don't miss the clothes and you replace them instead with things that are fabulous and make you feel good about yourself OR you do lose the weight and well, you've lost weight, lol and have to buy new!

Also, I think my very favorite take away from all of Marie Kondo was her process for letting things go. Even if you bought a great piece because you thought you might like it and it has stayed in your closet for 3 years but you're never inclined to wear it...don't look at it with regret or hold on to it with hopes that maybe it will be worth the money you paid some day. Instead give thanks that it helped you figure out your style a little bit better and it has served you that way. I actually thank the item and then donate! It feels good.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2