Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

No. If a kid is old enough to own and use expensive tech, said kid is 100 percent responsible for the expensive tech. Parents are fully aware that when they provide expensive tech to their children, they run the obvious risk of that tech being broken or lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    I agree they may not be expecting you to pay- just wanted you to know. Or were venting. In any case, I would not offer to pay. Think of all the free babysitting they got! I would just let it go entirely and I bet it will be forgotten soon enough.
    You know what, this is what I’d go with. You paying is highly inappropriate in this case and the friendship would be best honored and nourished by interpreting the other parents comments exactly as stated above! And then not mentioning it again.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So if I was in the friend's shoes and I got back home then learned of the damaged watch, I'd text you, "Hey DietCokeLover, I just heard from Timmy his watch is broken. DH is furious of course. Do you happen to know if Timmy broke it rock climbing or some other time?" I would NOT assume that the watch was somehow broken in your possession (while in your car). I would 100% not expect you to pay unless you literally ran over the watch knowingly, lol.

It is tacky for her to bring it up in a group and I'm sorry she did. The childcare and supervision cost way more than replacing the watch face.
    K

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

It could have been damaged at any point. I wonder if it broke and the kid took it off because he knew his father would be very mad? I would try not to worry - she probably was just venting and isn't expecting you to pay. But I agree she handled it poorly.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    So if I was in the friend's shoes and I got back home then learned of the damaged watch, I'd text you, "Hey DietCokeLover, I just heard from Timmy his watch is broken. DH is furious of course. Do you happen to know if Timmy broke it rock climbing or some other time?" I would NOT assume that the watch was somehow broken in your possession (while in your car). I would 100% not expect you to pay unless you literally ran over the watch knowingly, lol.

It is tacky for her to bring it up in a group and I'm sorry she did. The childcare and supervision cost way more than replacing the watch face.
    Tacky! That's the word that has been on the tip of my brain since I originally read and replied. That's totally what this was.

Thank you all for your replies. I am going to try to see it as her just venting a bit, though clumsily, and move past this. I certainly will be very aware of her kids’ things when he is with us though.
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3