Thread: Pet Help

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Pet Help

I’m an animal lover and have had dogs and cats. We have a 10 yo golden and got a cat my daughter fell in love with at a shelter. We have had the cat almost a year and he’s super loving but is a hunter and wants outside. He brings birds, rabbits, and mice to us. We live in a town that doesn’t allow outdoor pets and in a subdivision. When the cat is out the neighbors always bring him back or contact us that he is there. It’s weekly for different neighbors to contact us.
    I have tried to keep the cat in and he meows like a deranged animal. My husband is pretty private and is about to lose it.
    My daughter does not want to get rid of him and I think it is cruel but don’t know what else to do. WWYD?

It's not fair to keep him in his present state. He needs to be on a farm where he can be a mouser. Cats truly have a VERY negative impact on songbirds and other wild life. They should NOT be outdoors unless they are used for rodent control--farm life. What if you built him a "catio"--an enclosed outdoor space?? He could be outside but not wander?? Google it-some people have built amazing spaces for their cats!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Aw, bummer. It will be so hard for your daughter but I think you should re-home the cat to somewhere he can be happier. Maybe have a talk about how part of loving another living thing is allowing it to be and do what makes it happy, even if that's a sacrifice for you.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I think you need to rehome the cat if he is not happy being inside. Maybe that is why he ended up at the shelter in the first place. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

robinsmommy is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Some cats can be retrained to be indoor cats- but not all. And that takes time and consistency like any animal training.

Catios can also work for some.

But if neither of the above is a viable option, it’s kinder to cat and area wildlife to find a home that is a better fit. Our shelters here have cats that are advertised as “barn” cats- some may be friendly and loving, but they all need to be outside.
    Last edited by robinsmommy; 09-27-2022 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Autocorrect’s bad humor was showing….

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I knew this sounded familiar https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...11669-Pet-help
    So, did you just let the cat out knowing you shouldn't or has it been a year of keeping him in and unhappy? A year ago you might have been able to get him to become an indoor cat but if you've been letting him out for a year, that ship probably sailed. I'm sure your dd would understand that your kitty would be happier in a different environment; she isn't a little kid.