Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Donations, thanks for letting me vent!

First world whine, but I constantly donate to friends' fundraisers and causes. I buy plants, wrapping paper, etc., when friends' kids' are selling them. I organize local community events, fundraisers for teachers, etc. I give, give and give. Well, for the first time ever, I posted a fundraiser for an Alzheimer's walk that my daughter is participating in, and all I hear is crickets. My mother-in-law, my sister, and I are the only ones who've donated. I'm just frustrated and had to get that out. Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by athompson; 09-27-2022 at 12:55 PM.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by athompson View Post
    First world whine, but I constantly donate to friends' fundraisers and causes. I buy plants, wrapping paper, etc., when friends' kids' are selling them. I organize local community events, fundraisers for teachers, etc. I give, give and give. Well, for the first time ever, I posted a fundraiser for an Alzheimer's walk that my daughter is participating in, and all I hear is crickets. My mother-in-law, my sister, and I are the only ones who've donated. I'm just frustrated and had to get that out. Thanks for listening.
    I’m so sorry. I know how bad that sucks. And unfortunately how often that happens.

You can ignore my advice since this is your venting post. But You should call this propel you have helped. You were there for them so someone clearly needs to remind them how to be decent people. Dh can somehow come off as charming when he looks at the causes he has donated to and then finds those people and asks why they haven’t donated to the cause he is pushing. Or ones our kids are pushing. He actually calls them and says, “Hey, how did your xyz fundraiser go last April? That’s great! Glad to hear it. So now it’s our turn. We are raising money for abc charity. Can you help?” He makes it pretty clear that we donated to yours in the past but we won’t again if you don’t reciprocate. It almost always works.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Have her knock on their doors. I easily miss (or forget about) posts, but door to door always gets a donation. And, take this as your permission to "miss or forget" about their future posts.....

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Have her knock on their doors. I easily miss (or forget about) posts, but door to door always gets a donation. And, take this as your permission to "miss or forget" about their future posts.....
    Yes, door to door would be ideal, but she is a college freshman 800 miles away from home and at this point only knows other college freshman. Thanks for the idea, though!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I’m so sorry. I know how bad that sucks. And unfortunately how often that happens.

You can ignore my advice since this is your venting post. But You should call this propel you have helped. You were there for them so someone clearly needs to remind them how to be decent people. Dh can somehow come off as charming when he looks at the causes he has donated to and then finds those people and asks why they haven’t donated to the cause he is pushing. Or ones our kids are pushing. He actually calls them and says, “Hey, how did your xyz fundraiser go last April? That’s great! Glad to hear it. So now it’s our turn. We are raising money for abc charity. Can you help?” He makes it pretty clear that we donated to yours in the past but we won’t again if you don’t reciprocate. It almost always works.
    This is an idea, but I just hate that I have to be that in one's face about it, kwim?! I really need to lower my expectations of others, it would save so much disappointment

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Yes, door to door would be ideal, but she is a college freshman 800 miles away from home and at this point only knows other college freshman. Thanks for the idea, though!
    Oh! Gotcha.

Def repost a reminder and employ some of Mr. Gator's phasing.

"I know there are lots of fundraisers nowadays - for the band, for the traveling baseball team, for the school sports boosters, [insert all the things YOU'VE donated to] - but now it's my turn to ask for your help supporting my daughter on her university's Walk for Alzheimer's....."

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would have her post a sign up sheet with a QR code on her dorm room door and maybe include her Venmo if someone just wants to donate to her as then she can donate the money once the walk happens and then she can post a thank you on social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    Oh! Gotcha.

Def repost a reminder and employ some of Mr. Gator's phasing.

"I know there are lots of fundraisers nowadays - for the band, for the traveling baseball team, for the school sports boosters, [insert all the things YOU'VE donated to] - but now it's my turn to ask for your help supporting my daughter on her university's Walk for Alzheimer's....."
    I am trying to get brave enough! I like this wording; thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    I would have her post a sign up sheet with a QR code on her dorm room door and maybe include her Venmo if someone just wants to donate to her as then she can donate the money once the walk happens and then she can post a thank you on social media.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great idea; I will share this with her! Thanks!

I wonder how many of the fundraisers you’ve donated to you’ve just seen a link and given vs. being approached directly? I do think a direct sell, as uncomfortable as it can feel, is likely to lead to a lot more donations. And while your daughter is far away there’s nothing that stops her from calling, texting, emailing, etc. to say why this cause is important to her and what she’s doing to raise the money. I don’t think it necessarily needs to be one for one on support but I do think you can consider what groups you’ve supported (neighbors, friends, coworkers, etc.) and consider those as potential people to ask directly for donations.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast